Old 04-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Serf

Default Re: Hello from Minnesota

Actually, I am going to be there the weekend of the 18th of May.

The family and I are headed to a concert and mall of america for the weekend.

Would be cool to see your set up if we can work out a time.

Is the base design of these pretty much the same? I.e. cinder blocks, re-bar, and lots of concrete

I have been looking at all of the various designs and build pictures and I am eager to try putting one together.

I am wondering about the base though... I've seen some where they just stack the block and then fill with re-bar and cement and others they actually mortar the base together. Is that just a preference or is there a pro/con to doing such?

Also, what about the design is that preference too, meaning a corner design vs the traditional ones that I have seen? I suspect so.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

KnackJack

I think the 18th would be fine. Check your private messages I sent you my cell #.

The Corner design I used was because of the space I had available and I had to fit the oven in and the only thing that seemed to work was the corner style.

Having the entrance on the side tends to give easier (think shorter reach) access to the oven and lends itself better to side prep table(s) but I had little choice due to my location.

I did the dry stack of the block and did 100% core fills. Because you are going to pour a 4 - 6 inch slab over core filled piers on a small low structure the need to grout each joint becomes somewhat overkill. I did a surround of St Paul MN street brick with a full roof so the enclosure is not gong to leak via the open seams.

If you are referencing dome enclosure vs house I would highly recommend a house with a roof or a Pergola of some kind over the dome. We get far to much rain and snow to use an unprotected dome finish. you need to keep this thing dry, and the dome enclosure seems to have trouble with getting wet when it rains. Several posts indicate that they even cover their ovens with tarps when it rains. For me that would be difficult because my wife would be irritated by the look of a tarp over the oven 50% of the time in the spring and most of the winter.

Chip

Last edited by mrchipster; 04-25-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Laborer

G'day, I really enjoy watching the new builds, looking forward to your creation!

Russell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

How is the build coming along. Please send out some photos.

Chip