Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Hello from Bathurst, Australia

Thanks for the thoughts Neill. I popped out and measured the vent transition and it is only a tiny bit smaller than the 20cm diametre flue I will be using. A mere 23cmsquare difference so at this stage it will be staying. I have been thinking of may e making a vaulted arch and I have seen some smashing draft doors to enhance the start off period. Anyway. I've decided to use black grout/cement on the outer arch just incase.
Been a wet week in Bathurst so not much done on the cleaning of the bricks. Also my little man is teething so is very clingy at the moment. Picking up the fire clay and the marble for my entry this weekend. Might also stop in at field furnace guys in Sydney. Not sure depends on how the day goes.

My build so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Starting out collecting info and materials

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Origional post by SpottedFrog
Quote:
Also my little man is teething so is very clingy at the moment

Rosemary,
For teething fever and pain, we use a necklace made from nettle root. I have heard that it grows all over the world. I've raised several kids and a few grandkids. The stuff works. We dig and wash the roots of the plant, cut in sections, and make a necklace strung from sewing thread. When all else fails it will cut the fever and the fretting of a young one. I have converted several young parents who did not believe in folk remedies, who now swear by it. Over here it is a garden weed mostly found in cultivated garden sites. It is usually harvested near the end of the growing season in overgrown vegetable gardens.
I hope this plant grows in your neck of the woods. You might want to do a search of nettle root or other folk remedies for your area.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Laborer

Well progressing slowly at the moment. I managed to get my planning (exempt) application drawn up and into council. So hopefully should get the go ahead this week. Also picked up the fire clay and measured the marble that I might use for the hearth entrance. Also confirmed a couple of sources of perlite and vermiculite in the big bags, nice people at elders in widsor have them in stock at a great price. Did a mockup of the oven with entry arch in cardboard so I could check the placement and that I could see the internal spaces from my seating area.
This week I want to:
Clean up some of my reclaimed bricks.
Make the floor template.
Start levelling the area.
Want to find a source of old wood fire heaters as I might be able to scavange handles or glass from them.
That will probably be enough to do. Can't wait to get the go ahead though.
So funny I was thinking about the project the other night and I understand what people mean now when they say they can taste the pizza and bread already. Ha ha ha.

My build so far

Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedFrog View Post
measured the marble that I might use for the hearth entrance.
The hearth entrance doesnt get exceptionally hot but it does get very hot, dont know how marble will handle the heat?

Old 12-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Laborer

Love the doors that people make with glass dishes so tracked down some really old Pyrex pie dishes. Hopefully one is the right size and we can replicate the beautiful doors I have been drooling over.
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Bathurst, Australia-image.jpg  

My build so far