Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Hello from Bathurst, Australia

David,
Nope it is welded steel about 5 mm thick, pretty old but only very light surface rust from being outside for a few years so I think it should do the job.
ATK406,
Yes I think being able to see to fire is pretty important too. We were originally going to have the WFO on the back deck untill we realized how big it ends up being. So now it is down the bottom but should still be close enough.

My build so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Starting out collecting info and materials

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:35 AM
Laborer

Been a good week for materials. Scored some more bricks. Found some really old thin bricks that should work well for the decorative external arch. A mate has some re-enforcing mesh I can have for the slab as well as some lime for the mortar and picked up some fire clay on eBay. Next week I'm going to source lintels and file the paperwork with council.

My build so far

Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

5 mm should last several years. Heat will accelerate any corrosion. If your oven is outdoors and gets wet at all this won't help either. I prefer to avoid anything that will corrode, but you should get plenty of life out of 5mm.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Rosemary,

Good for you to be able to scrouge around and find materials to use. Especially your brick. You guys/gals have to pay such a premium for you fire brick Looking forward to seeing the construction pics.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 AM
Laborer

hmmm,
something else i have been wondering about is how to work out just high from the ground I should be building the floor of the oven. I have not really seen anyone talk about this, except to say you don't want it too low. I have the Pompeii plans and may have missed this. I get that you work backwards from the floor down to the slab but thats where i loose it. I was thinking quite low but seeing the photos of other peoples builds I realise that is not right. Do you aim for chest height? Any suggestions welcome.

My build so far

Old 02-22-2013, 04:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The consensus is about elbow height.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is just my 2 cents worth. Err on the side of at least 4 inches too high. You can always increase the height of the area that you stand on in front of the oven, but it would be hell to jack up a WFO .
brickie in oz likes this.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Hello from Bathurst, Australia

Hi Rosemary,
your hearth or cooking floor height should be where you can see without bending over or standing on tippy toes. This can cause a problem if the owners are both tall and short, but as I learned many years ago, always build things to suit yourself, everyone else will need to adapt!
Once you have established a hearth height, deduct your floor thickness and get your base + insulation to that height.
Also, rather than putting the oven way down the back, put it just off your deck where it is close to all your amenities and also close to deck cover if you have it, allowing the oven use year round rather than braving the elements!

Cheers.

Neill
SpottedFrog likes this.

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Laborer

So as this is suppose to be the intro section. I'll introduce myself and then start a new thread with the build process.
Living in Bathurst on maternity leave at the moment. Thought I would have lots of time for interesting projects. HA, HA, HA. My munchkin is a very busy little man. Hubby loves the idea of the oven and we are starting to fine tune the design after looking at lots of photos and threads. We both love Bathurst, not too hot or cold and close enough to the big smoke to pop down for the weekend.

My build so far

Old 02-27-2013, 03:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Hello from Bathurst, Australia

Rosemary,
looking at your pictures of the flue transition, I will lay money on the fact that you WILL GET SMOKE OUT THE FRONT as the transition is way too small to collect and direct the smoke and heat up the chimney. Go the extra and make it much bigger to prevent it. Mine is quite large and the only time that I have had smoke out the front was when some 'purchased dry redgum firewood at $320/tonne' refused to burn nicely so I took to it with a petrol leaf blower at full throttle. That made a hell of a difference, almost melt steel in the oven then! You also need to have an 8" (or sorry for the non metric members) a 200mm flue. It will draw much better than the smaller 6" (150mm)!

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway