Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/)
-   -   Hello all from Ontario, Canada (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/hello-all-ontario-canada-4898.html)

Rocco95 08-24-2008 03:38 PM

Hello all from Ontario, Canada

For years I have thought about adding a wood burning oven in my garden. When I came across this site a few days ago, the whole community has inspired me to bring my dream to reality. The community is so informative and brings a wealth of knowledge in assisting other community members.
Happy to be a member.

Rocco

Breven 08-25-2008 09:40 AM

Re: Hello all from Ontario, Canada

Welcome to the club Rocco. I think you'll find everything you need to get you through your build right here on FB. From experience I can tell you that I had little experience with concrete, no experience with block or brick and with the information and advice here...managed to get it done. Be sure to take lots of pictures as you go through the process and search the forums anytime you have a question...you can bet you'll find the answers here!

christo 08-25-2008 11:44 AM

Hi Rocco!

We have several members from Canada and the Ontario area, too.

Don't forget to down load the Pompei oven PDF in the Forno Bravo store area, there is a wealth of free information there!

Go ahead and get your digital camera and start mixing concrete!

Christo

Rocco95 08-25-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breven (Post 39914)
Welcome to the club Rocco. I think you'll find everything you need to get you through your build right here on FB. From experience I can tell you that I had little experience with concrete, no experience with block or brick and with the information and advice here...managed to get it done. Be sure to take lots of pictures as you go through the process and search the forums anytime you have a question...you can bet you'll find the answers here!

Hi Breven,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I do enjoy working on construction projects and have experience in concrete forming, pouring and finishing. But this project will be my first solo attempt in masonry. I will be relying on the forum's expertise on questions. Right now I am trying to finalize the oven location and position in my garden.

Rocco

Rocco95 08-25-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christo (Post 39917)
Hi Rocco!

We have several members from Canada and the Ontario area, too.

Don't forget to down load the Pompei oven PDF in the Forno Bravo store area, there is a wealth of free information there!

Go ahead and get your digital camera and start mixing concrete!

Christo

Hello Christo,

Glad to be part of this community.

I downloaded the plans the other day and the camera is ready!

Went out today to visit my local building supplier to see what items were in stock as per the plan. Retrieved a partial material price list on some of the items that I need for the oven. I am deciding the oven size before committing to a complete material list.

Got to get digging soon!

Rocco

iritalianish 08-25-2008 07:30 PM

Hi Rocco,

Hey! I was just up in Clayton, NY right across the St. Lawrence Seaway this week! We took a boat tour and got to see the Canadian side of the area. Truly magnificent! The whirlpools area is awesome! Welcome. I'm brand new here as well. Isn't it awesome to be bitten by the oven bug? I can't wait to build mine either!

Cheers,

Fred

Versachi 08-25-2008 09:09 PM

A warm welcome Rocco. Glad to see another builder from Ontario. There quite a few of us kicking around.

Good luck, John:D

masuzzu 08-25-2008 09:09 PM

Hi rocco,
I was wondering about the building codes (frostline and slab thickness in your part of Canada) .
Thanks!

Breven 08-26-2008 09:18 AM

Uh...building codes? We're supposed to be getting permits for these things?

I live by the better to ask for forgiveness instead of permission motto...

egalecki 08-26-2008 09:40 AM

I dunno about your area, but our building inspector, when asked, said it sounded like an outdoor bbq and didn't need a permit. Even when my husband presented him with the plans he didn't seem to care- not even about chimney height and proximity to the house. (of course, we know him and he trusts us not to want to burn our own house down...)