Old 08-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Hello all from Ontario, Canada

Here in CA, any permanent structure is supposed to have a permit. But hey...I like living on the edge. Besides, I already have my excuse ready..."What? This thing has been here for years, it was here when I bought the house."

See ALL of my pictures here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Master Builder

Elizabeth, that was my experience exactly! "Outdoor BBQs don't need a permit." I tried to insist, but they pretty much ignored me!

Welcome aboard, Rocco!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Journeyman

[QUOTE=Breven;39975]Here in CA, any permanent structure is supposed to have a permit. QUOTE]

You can always tell them it is a temporary structure. After all, who is insane enough to build a permanent oven ?

In Washington you can build an "out building" provided it is under 770 Sq ft. My out building will just happen to have a "large BBQ" in it.

It's not what you build....it's what you call it.

I got tagged by a local inspector for installing a "2nd" driveway. I put it in with a "path maker". So it consists of individual concrete stones. When he told me that there was a problem I told him that it was not a driveway.. it was a wide path. When he insisted it was a driveway because my travel trailer was parked on it I made him define driveway. Just because I choose to park my trailer on my pathway it doesn't mean my path becomes a driveway. Some people park their cars on the lawn. Does that make your lawn a driveway ?

If all else fails, keep pictures of your build as documentation. That way you can show you are within code rather than having to tear it down.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Journeyman

I had to rethink my outdoor kitchen design based on setback regulations, but I didn't need a permit for my oven, either. It took about an hour of going back and forth on the phone with the permit office, but eventually, they unanimously decided that my oven qualified as an outdoor BBQ and didn't need a permit as well.

Check with your local authorities, of course, but that seems to be the common experience.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iritalianish View Post
Hi Rocco,

Hey! I was just up in Clayton, NY right across the St. Lawrence Seaway this week! We took a boat tour and got to see the Canadian side of the area. Truly magnificent! The whirlpools area is awesome! Welcome. I'm brand new here as well. Isn't it awesome to be bitten by the oven bug? I can't wait to build mine either!

Cheers,

Fred
Hi Fred,

The scenery is beautiful! I toured that same area on houseboat and spent time in Alexandria Bay NY. Welcome, and happy building.

Rocco
Old 08-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Serf

A few years ago I built a cabana in the garden on 5" of compacted clear gravel followed by 5" of re-inforced concrete. To date, have not seen any frost heave or cracks.

On this build I am considering of adding 2" of rigid insulation to act as thermal break on top of the drainage base followed by re-inforced concrete.

In my local municipality I can build an outdoor structure 120 sq. feet or less without a permit. Setback regulations must be followed.

Rocco
Old 08-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Serf

Mine was considered a BBQ as long as set backs where followed and is under 100 sq. ft.

Tony
Old 08-27-2008, 03:50 AM
Serf

I plan on calling it a BBQ as well, to appease local building inspectors.

Rocco
Old 08-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Rocco,

I'm to the northeast of Toronto. Didn't need a permit for under a hundred sq. ft. The local authorities scratched their heads a bit but classified it as a large, if eccentric BBQ. The fire chief had a look while it was being fired, then walked away for good.

Jim