Old 05-31-2006, 09:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

How about this?

http://www.vermiculite.org/asp/membe...rmiculite+Ltd..
Drake
Old 05-31-2006, 09:46 AM

Default Perlite

Vermiculite has a aesbestos problem. Some deposits have a small but detectable amount of the stuff, and some dealers don't want the liability exposure.

Perlite is white, and easier to see if it's thoroughly mixed with the portand cement.

There's a type of volcanic pumice that's used in landscaping. It's almost as good as the two things above for trapping air pockets, and insulating. It has the additional benefit of being the traditional Italian oven insulation. (think pompeii)

good luck
Old 05-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Home Depot in California sells it in the garden section as a soil conditioner.

You can try wholesale nursury supply companies, pool chemical supply companies and commercial ag supply companies.

If you strike out, write me (james@fornobravo.com) and we can always ship it to you.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Vermic

Lewis,

I had trouble locating vermiculite, too, until a helpful guy at a lumber yard suggested I talk to pool builders. I ended up with a product called PoolPac; it's bagged vermiculite used to bed pool liners.

Jim
Old 05-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Vermiculite and Asbestos

The vermiculite sold at Home Depot in California is certified "asbestos free." There is a big label on the bag -- "certified asbestos free."

If you are concerned, ask your local supplier and see what they say, or what the bag says. You can also use perlite.

Or, you can import Tufa from Mount Vesuvius in Campania. Even better, you can import Greco di Tufo, a wonderful white wine from the slopes of Mt. Vesuvius.

James

Last edited by james; 05-31-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:33 AM
Serf

Oh wine, yes, let me see, yes wine, thanks to everyone, there is a vermiculite place in Virginia right around the corner from me that told me where I can get it. It will be their product but they only deal with the raw material.

Wine, did I mention yes to the wine....
Old 06-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Serf

Well, I have a bunch of photos ready to be posted, will do that tonight if time permits. I will start the dome part this weekend and hopefully in two weeks start the insulation process.

I am still shooting for a July 9th first firing and all are invited. The wife is getting all the recepies ready, I have six racks of ribs that I am planning on doing up. My ribs are to kill for in the smoker so I am very excited about the oven doing them.
I understand that if any of the juices and grease gets on the bricks the next firing will take care of it. Since I cook my ribs on racks how much effect will there be if I put a drip pan under them? I read the one about the roast and my tummy is screaming at me to do one!
My tummy is going to be soooo Haaappy!
Old 06-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Serf

Hello all again, it's been a while since I last been on. So very busy, work is just getting out of hand.
I do have a question about the chimney, I have read most of the threads on the subject and a little confuse. Since the Chimney is actually not part of the oven but sits in front of it which sits lower then the dome of the oven is there really a draft we have to worry about? One of two reasons I am putting a chimney on it is to keep the smoke out of my eyes when I am firing and cooking. The other reason is that we will be using the space below the chimney as an outdoor fire place, when not cooking but looking for the aviance. I am still looking for a nice tarracota (spelling?) tile one but they seem as elusive as the vermiculite was. Is there any reason I could not or should not build the chimney with red brick? The chimney is about 8 to 10 inches from the front of the oven.
I have all the pictures I must post, from start to the point I am at now. As soon as this mad house at my duty station slows down and I can get home at a decent time I will post them.

Thanks to everyone here for all the help.
Mark lewis
Old 06-22-2006, 11:31 AM

Default brick chimney

there is no reason that red brick won't work for a chimney, but a refractory flue tile, which is much better, is a lot cheaper than the bricks and mortar you'd need to make the same enclosure. Domestic chimneys have (or should have) a refractory liner, an air space, and a layer of masonry on the outside. This may be more than you need in an outdoor oven.

Flue tiles in 8 x 8 should be available at any masonry supply (not home centers)
Old 06-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Serf

Ah, I will keep looking then, Thanks