Old 11-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Serf

Default Re: Hello from Adelaide

Tim - Thanks for that but too late I fear, I've bought my bricks now so will stick with them.

Salv - Thanks for the info on Fire & Stone, I will check it out.

Can't do any work on the oven for another week due to family commitments, so will check it all out and then get stuck into it.

Thanks again,

Benny
Old 11-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Peasant

Hi Salv and Benny

Hello from Norton Summit
Welcome to the forum,there is so much info here it can make your head spin
I'd like to second the praise of Thermal ceramics, they are a super friendly bunch. I always feel impressed when you walk into such a big industrial concern and they treat your little (relatively) project with such interest.
I'm up to laying the first chain,so will watch your progress with interest and share my mistakes

Cheers cooter

Last edited by Cooter; 11-28-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:44 AM
Laborer

Hi Cooter,

Thanks for the welcome. Like Benny, I am committed to supplies from others. However, my Dad is helping me with my build and id it turns out ok we may build one for him using the suppliers you guys mentioned (including the clay pavers recommended by Neill and Tim).

I laid the foundation slab yesterday and will now try and find some time to get the oven stand up. I will also be interested in your progress and looking to get some helpful tips. I must admit I have no idea how I am going to do the vent and chimney. I am looking for the simplest solution given my limited skills. Anyway, best of luck with your build.

Cheers

Salv
Old 11-29-2008, 03:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Hello from Adelaide

Hi Salv
the quickest and easiest vent and chimney solution is as the way I did mine and also Paul Henderson's. Very easy to cut and fold some stainless, mig (tack weld it together to take an 8" stainless or as mine galvanised flue to simply slip into the cut out hole on the top. No need to seal nor rivet/screw as it is a nice tight fit.
The second picture is the one I made for Hendo. May he RIP and watch his oven and outdoor kitchen come to fruition.
All you have to do is run tour vent and entry bricks straight up and take a few dimensions eg.front, back lhs and rhs and the 2 diagonals to ensure that the construction fits perfectly.
Drill a few holes in the centre of your bricks and secure it with 4 small dyna bolts.
Oh, in both, I have incorporated some downlights which light up the entire oven floor a treat. No need to cook in flame glow or torch light.

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Adelaide-neills-flue-web.jpg   Hello from Adelaide-hendos-oven-continues-hendos-hood_lights-web.jpg  

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:23 AM
Apprentice

Neill, your work never ceases to amaze me!

Have you posted before on what you did with the down lights? Is there some thread where I can find out the details of what lights you used, how you mounted them, and how you wired them?

Cheers,
Travis
Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Travis.
I put the domestic downlights (and they can be 12v or over here 240v AC) back in June 07.
See:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...10-a-2119.html (Neill's Pompeii #10)

permalink #7. It is all in my oven build.
I really can't understand why other members don't install them as they are so easy and so so effective at illuminating the whole of the oven hearth, no shadows and a wonderful ambiance.
I just folded up a piece of stainless steel, cut a 71mm diam hole in it to locate the lights and aimed them diagonally across the dome entrance. You will need to cut the mounts several times to get the lamps shining where you want but if you look carefully, I tack welded them to my stainless chimney void so that i could bend and fine tune their direction.
Get some more high temp fibreglass wire shroud to protect the wiring (some come with the lamps but I put a double length piece on for security).
I made a set for Hendos oven but his void was alot smaller and besides he had already purchased some multi directional 12v lights which I will make 2 rigid stainless mounts just outside his outer arch and shine the lights from the top corners diagonally across the entrance into his hearth.

Hope this helps.

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 12-03-2008, 02:45 AM
Laborer

Hi Neill,

Thanks for the useful info on the chimney and vent. I will probably bug you with more specific questions once I get to that stage of the build (or is that if I do!). A couple of questions for now:-
1. do you have a drawing/sketch of your vent design - this would be useful in helping me understand how it works
2. Do I need to go with a rectangular oven door to allow the vent to sit properly or can it still work ok with an arched door?

I know these are very basic questions but I am very much an amatuer when it comes to doing this sort of stuff.

Cheers

Salv
Old 12-03-2008, 03:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Salv,
all you need to do is to build your vent as large as 'practicable' rather than possible. The bigger it is, the better it works, or likewise the smaller it is the worse it works. Mine is around 600mmm wide by 400mm deep.
I have just been an hour searching for the exploded diagram I did for a nother member and can't find it anywhere. I trashed the drawing only last weekend and it gone!.
However, I found a .pdf of an offset vent which I drew qnd is very similar but not symmetrical as mine and Hendo's.
And NO you do not need a rectangular door. You simply cut the vent to the shape of your arch(es) both front and dome arches (if you have 2).
The picture is Hendo's vent that I made but did not end up using the lights. I have some others to build and fit for the family.

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Adelaide-hendos-chimney-.jpg   Hello from Adelaide-hendos-hood_lights-web.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vent sections.pdf (16.2 KB, 178 views)

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 12-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the link Neil. It is much appreciated. I have only had time to glance at what you did, but after seeing a couple of your pictures and those of Christo's oven light, I am definitely going to incorporate them into my oven design. I will go study your approach in detail in a bit!

Travis
Old 12-06-2008, 03:17 AM
Laborer

Hi Neill,

Thanks for the additional info on the vent - it is now starting to make some sense!

Cheers

Salv