Old 11-21-2008, 04:57 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Hello from Adelaide

It's great to hear from the Aussies on the site, including a couple form Adelaide.

Les - I was hoping to finish boxing up the slab on the weekend and maybe even pour the cement but other commitments (kids!) got in the way. You and Travis are right about how awsemone some of the builds are - I have writing down plenty of ideas and am still working out how it will end up. Good luck with your build and I'm sure I will keep updated on your progress.

Tim - Thanks for the welcome and the tips- I will keep them in mind.

Likewise, Neill thanks for the welcome and the offer of help - once I get stuck into it I'm sure there will be areas I need help in. Re your question - I am in Norwood.

Cheers

Salv
Old 11-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Apprentice

Welcome to the site, it is great to see more and more aussies hanging about. It also seems that there are quite a few from down south.

Cheers
James
Old 11-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Laborer

Hi James,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, the Aussie contingent seems to be growing daily. We have pretty good weather that lets us spend time outdoors.
I am just starting my build and have been reading the site every day for 3 or 4months. Plenty of great info. I will actually be pouring the concrete slab on Friday if I can get my Dad to come around and help. What stage are you at?

Cheers

Salv
Old 11-25-2008, 03:19 AM
Apprentice

still reasearching at the moment but as part of some renovations early next year we plan to build a deck with an outdoor kitchen in one corner, which will house a wood fired oven and if i can work out a sound design it will have an outdoor fireplace underneith it.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:43 AM
Serf

Hi Salv, Neill, Tim & others;

I'm also from Adelaide and at St. Georges, not far from Norwood. Thanks for the information on Thermal Ceramics, I didn't know about them but will have a look. I bought 2nd fire bricks from Littlehampton Brickworks at $3 each. I had to pick over the pallets but the ones I got look very good.

I'm a newby & just starting out so picking everyones brains and reading all I can. Thanks for the info you guys all put on the site; this would have to be the best site on this subject in the world and it's fantastic to see all the different styles and ideas from around the globe. Now I'm starting to waffle on so I will say bye for now.

Cheers, Benny
Old 11-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Laborer

Hi Benny,

Welcome to a fellow newby. Another Adelaide addition! St Georges is very close to me - just shoot up Portrush road and I'm there. I looked at Littlehampton as well but I wasn't as organised as you to get up there and sort the bricks and then cart them back down. I also could not get any information from them on the contents of the bricks - they just wouldn't say. I ended up organising my bricks through a business called Avero in Allenby Gardens, although I haven't picked them up yet. The guy there, Frank Cavallaro was very friendly and helpful. He was familiar with the Pompei oven plans and was able to do an order and supply all the components based on the material requirements in the plan. I paid a bit more than you did for the bricks but he did reduce the cost per brick for me on the basis that I will buy all the other materials from him.

I am hoping to lay my slab this Friday. Hows your progress going?

Cheers

Salv
Old 11-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Hello from Adelaide

Hi Benny and Salv,
the 'fire bricks' from Littlehampton are not really the same firebrick as being discussed within this forum, ie they are not true refractory issue bricks. They are bricks suitable for the bricking of open fireplaces in the houses and that is why they cannot/will not tell you their actual composition.
They will do the job but when I went up there and approached them, they told me that they sell far more of their 4" solid clay baked pavers for oven construction than their firebricks.
When I build another oven, I will be using them as they are fired at 1200˚C, well above the 500˚C we will be getting our ovens, so no spalling nor cracking and at I think around .80c each.
For what it is worth.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Serf

Hi Salv & Neill,

Wow, you live and learn. I didn't realise there were different types of fire bricks. I will have to go with what I've got. I've laid the foundation slab and that is about as far as I've got yet. It is part of another project so is having a sandstone wall adjoining / attached to one side of it. Not a large wall, more a garden decoration. I build a sandstone wall many years ago and my wife loves it so much she wants another down near the oven.

I'm hoping to start on the base brickwork in the next fortnight or so as our current social schedule is a bit full and interfering with me ability to get things done.

I'm learning a lot through this forum & didn't realise there were so many avenues for supplies or people here interested in wood ovens.
Salv, have you visited Johnny's Gourmet Pizza at 538 Glynburn Rd, Burnside? It's just south of the Greenhill Rd & Glynburn Rd round-a-bout. They have a large industrial size wood oven. Their pizza's are a bit expensive but I bought one just so I could watch their oven and them cook. (You have to pay for individual traditional food rather than production line stuff).

Cheers to you all,

Benny
Old 11-27-2008, 03:37 AM
Laborer

Hi Benny,

I wouldn't worry about the bricks at all, as Neil said they will do the job.
I haven't been to Johnny's but friends of mine who live in Hazelwood Pk have and they were very impressed with the Pizzas - next time I visit them we are going to try it out. There is also a new WFO place the other side of Glyndburn Road in Glynde, just past K-Mart, called Fire and Stone. I think it has only been there a few weeks.

Cheers

Salv
Old 11-27-2008, 04:28 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanneill View Post
Hi Benny and Salv,
When I build another oven, I will be using them as they are fired at 1200˚C, well above the 500˚C we will be getting our ovens, so no spalling nor cracking and at I think around .80c each.
For what it is worth.
Neill
I picked up a few hundred for around 55c each on sale a couple of weeks ago - might be still on.