Old 09-10-2007, 05:07 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Greetings from Virginia

Mark,

I didn't know Bill Foot, but in Snowden (nearby) there is a relatively new foot bridge that goes across the James river to the Appalachian Trail and there's a little monument or qlaque there and I'm thinking it's his name on it. Do you know about that? I'll have to go look again. The Appalachian Trail is right out my back door. We've only done little stretches of it but my husband wants to do the whole thing. I'm not sure I could handle being out in the weather for 4 to 5 months. I don't think you'd find any wood-fired pizzas or bread along the trail either.

I look forward to hearing about and seeing your outdoor kitchen as you move forward. I've been reading this forum since I started 2 months ago. It's fun seeing what people do. It was invaluable when we were building the oven. People always have answers to your questions. I'm making my second attempt at sourdough tomorrow. The first one was a flop.

Karen
Old 09-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Laborer

HI,
I'm in Mechanicsville, so probably not too far from Goochland.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannabecker View Post
Mark,

I didn't know Bill Foot, but in Snowden (nearby) there is a relatively new foot bridge that goes across the James river to the Appalachian Trail and there's a little monument or qlaque there and I'm thinking it's his name on it. Do you know about that?
Karen
I'm so glad to hear that they named the bridge for him or at least have a permanent marker there. Bill was instrumental in getting that footbridge over the James built. He was very active in the Natural Bridge AT Maintenance club and I believe he was on the ATC board in Harpers Ferry. Heck of a guy. Big strong man; thru hiked the AT twice; did the American Discovery trail all the way across the US; then gets stomach cancer and is gone. Its just not right. And, Laurie was right there with him every step of the way on those hikes. Amazing.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer
Old 09-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconGrease View Post
HI,
I'm in Mechanicsville, so probably not too far from Goochland.
Hey BaconGrease! Between your avatar and screen name, you and I might get along fine. My Outdoor Kitchen will be built around BBQ. I did a BBQ meatloaf in my smoker last wknd. Awesome.

Ive done pizzas in my Weber kettle charcoal grill. But now I want to step it up and either get a pizza oven or ceramic egg.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer