Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Florida Newcomer

Well here it is three months later. I did get the plans and engineering done. The foundation the engineer requires covers the whole 460 sq ft footprint of the build with substantial footings for the column supports. I figured about 8 yards of concrete for the foundation. Other than that, and the pergola reinforcement, the rest of the build should be what I figured at the start. Right now I'm going through the permitting process. Even though I didn't include water service to the kitchen area, I have to have a health dept. permit. That required getting my septic tank pumped and a drain field inspection from the dept. They said about 2 weeks before that can be done. (another 500 bucks). I have used the time playing with google sketchup. What a great tool. I have been building the area one cinder block at a time. This has given me a good idea of the layout as well as a list of materials. Can't wait to get started. I have continued to get lots of planning ideas from this site which is much appreciated.
Leigh
Attached Thumbnails
Florida Newcomer-1_img_1763.jpg  
Old 01-27-2011, 02:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Florida Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeair View Post
Well here it is three months later. I did get the plans and engineering done. The foundation the engineer requires covers the whole 460 sq ft footprint of the build with substantial footings for the column supports. I figured about 8 yards of concrete for the foundation. Other than that, and the pergola reinforcement, the rest of the build should be what I figured at the start. Right now I'm going through the permitting process. Even though I didn't include water service to the kitchen area, I have to have a health dept. permit. That required getting my septic tank pumped and a drain field inspection from the dept. They said about 2 weeks before that can be done. (another 500 bucks). I have used the time playing with google sketchup. What a great tool. I have been building the area one cinder block at a time. This has given me a good idea of the layout as well as a list of materials. Can't wait to get started. I have continued to get lots of planning ideas from this site which is much appreciated.
Leigh
Leigh, you are a patient person!

Your attachment, is it a google sketchop or a real picture? It looks like it could be real to me....A very good looking area in any case.

Hang in there, you'll make it happen.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Apprentice

Hello Lee. That's the picture from this website that started my WFO journey. I tried to upload my sketchup, but was unable to do so. I uploaded that one to show the hopeful end result of all this. If anyone can give me pointers to upload a sketchup, or if I can figure it out, I'll post a couple.
Leigh
Old 01-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Apprentice

figured out the sketchup upload I think
Attached Thumbnails
Florida Newcomer-block-layout.jpg  
Old 01-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Florida Newcomer

That is a relatively big project you have there....Good luck with it. I get the impression that you will enjoy the journey.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Laborer

Hey Leigh,

Let me know if you're ever over in Tallahassee. You can come over and have pizza, and we'll discuss the finer points of non-pizza stone cooking!

Stan in TLH