Old 07-23-2011, 08:07 AM

Default Re: First rough draft oven design - Want comments

Quote:
I think I will be able to tie the corners.
If you can do this, I say go for it. I think it's a way cool design.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Master Builder

Did some more thinking about this... To lace those corners would be a nightmare for even an experienced oven builder.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

There is no way or need to tooth the corners.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
Did some more thinking about this... To lace those corners would be a nightmare for even an experienced oven builder.
Yeah, just analyzed the 3D model. Nightmare to say the least. Lots of small detailed cuts. I'm leaning toward a vault design unless Tscarborough can convince me that what the others have said about the structural integrity is wrong.

Some have said that this is a cool design. I don't want cool. I want easy to build, few cuts, low cost and cooked bread. I'm trying the best I can to use recycled materials. My conc. blocks are 50 cents (they bought one pallet too many), the tapered firebricks were 35 cents, the large ones were 50 cents (from a steel mill). I found some cheap metal studs at a construction site. Do you see a pattern here?

I just talked to a local guy who built a vault oven based on Tscarborough's construction photos using similar bricks he got at the steel mill here. He is very happy with his oven saying he fed the entire high school soccer team pizza cooked in his vault. Maybe I'll chicken out and go with a vault. Will be a whole lot easier.

Craig
Old 07-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"I don't want cool. I want easy to build, few cuts, low cost and cooked bread. "

Then run the hell away from your design, and do a simple low vault.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Master Builder

Yes I think the Vault oven is the way to go for the easy build. It is also a proven oven design. I know for a fact that the vault oven has a very limited amount of cuts as well as they are all simple straight cuts. Allen Scott has a good oven plan for the oven itself. I will say I don't care much for the way he supports the oven on re-bar and the vermiculite/Portland layer. But the oven plans are good and easy.

Good luck and most important ...Have Fun!
Keep us updated on your build,
Faith
Old 07-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

There is a lot wrong with the AS plans. Even if you build a low arch oven, the FB plans are far superior in regards to general construction and insulation.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
There is a lot wrong with the AS plans. Even if you build a low arch oven, the FB plans are far superior in regards to general construction and insulation.
I just did a search and it looks like you built a kind of vault oven but it doesn't look like the AS variety. If I decide to build a vault and it's looking more and more like that's what I'll do, could you give me some advice on what you learned from your build?

Craig
Old 07-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Master Builder

I never saw the vault plans from FB where would you find them? I do agree with the faults in parts of the AS plans.

I'm also interested in why you thought the structure of Craig's plan were sound. Both vault and dome ovens have multiple keystones. Craig's plans has one keystone and the corners are a sheer vertical line that does not add any support.

What are your thoughts on specifics? perhaps we should start a new thread for this discussion?

Faith
Old 07-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am sure he doesn't mind. That is a standard vault design, generally called a Tudor arch, or in his case a doubled Tudor arch.

FB plans are only for the Pompei, I meant for how to build the base, hearth, insulation, not the actual design of the dome.