Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 02:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!

To lower the internal height of the cast iron oven (which will be the front third of the oven), I'm thinking of lining it with firebricks (two on their narrow side at each side, and then 4 of so over the top, balanced on flat steel rectangular pieces (not mortared, so expansion should not pose a problem?). There will be a gap under the outlet for the flue.

G'day
The flat bar concerns me a bit is.... It likely to bend and sag especially in the heat. You much better to use angle iron the shape gives it its strength. My entrance and chimney are supported on two pieces of angle and have been for 4 years now. Not too much rust to date but they will need replacing eventually. But you aware of that and are planning for it.... Great
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cobblerdave; 04-15-2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Change font in quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Serf

Rightio! Well, things have gone pretty well, and on top of the cement slab I formed up a cement border into which I could pour the vermicrete hearth insulation. Of course I made this border too low, so I had a go at my first ever bricks and lay a row on top. This was quite fun and apart from the mortar falling off the ends of the bricks when I was trying to "butter" them (ha!), it all went pretty smoothly. Still, it made me wonder about how I'll go with mortaring the firebricks..yikes. Anyway, I ended up with 15cm plus of vermicrete. It's fairly flat, but I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to
a. use fire clay and sand on top to level or
b. spread a layer of homebrew mortar on top to make it smooth and level, and then the fireclay and sand
?
And also, am I right in the impression that the hearth bricks should NOT be mortared in place, and that the wall bricks should NOT be mortared to the hearth bricks?

Many thanks,
Zoe.
Attached Thumbnails
Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!-dsc01959.jpg   Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!-dsc01961.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Serf

Thanks for the hint about the use of angle-iron instead of flat iron - I had no idea!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day Zoe
You right you shouldn't mortar down the hearth brick or the first layer of the vault. The hearth can be leveled on a layer of clay and sand alright. The first layer of vault bricks mortared to each other but not down.
As for the bricklaying well .... It so happens I'm "masonry impaired" so I understand exactly what you mean.
I can give a few a few things that might help.
Vinegar and rubber gloves. If you find it hard to use a trowel you'll be tempted to use you fingers. Don't . Get yourself some strong rubber gloves and if you end up with mortar burns wash in vinegar. It will not fix the damage but will take away the sting.
Gauging trowel. Its not a brick trowel at all but a plastering tool. But its small and has a round end and heaps easy to use for the mug bricklayer.
Mix small batches of mortar so you have no pressure to lay bricks fast. A 20 ltre plastic bucket and a paint mixer on the end of an electric drill will do it. Let the mortar sit for a while after mixing sometimes it soaks up a little more water than you think it will.
Soak some bricks as you go in a bucket, it will stop them from drawing the water out of the mix.
The fireclay is the bit that makes the mortar a little easier to stick to the brick and let's you squish it into position if the mortar does crack away . Stop. Remove the brick, scape off the mortar and do it again. Don't wash the brick, the remaining mortar left makes it work the secound time much better.
Hope something here helps
Regards dave
v12spirit likes this.

My Build

My Door

Old 08-31-2014, 05:47 PM
Serf

After a winter hiatus, it's oven-building time again!!!
Mixed up t he homebrew with a paint/drill tool and then went to work, built up the two rows of the walls. Looking OK, but was surprised at how stressful the whole caper was!
The mortar may be a little on the thick side, but it is what it is. I think I'll leave it a week before starting on the arches / vault.
Thanks for the advice, CobblerDave.
Now it's time to workout how to do those pesky arches...
Attached Thumbnails
Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!-dsc02669.jpg   Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!-dsc02672.jpg  
Old 08-31-2014, 08:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day wildflower
Here's a link to Anne's oven showing her formwork

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/ru...tml#post151558 (Rustic Primitive Materials)

Yours will need to be a little different as Annie pulled hers out through front of her oven and you can't. The end form piece will have to have hole in it so that you can access the inside of the oven. You'll need that as you can then lite a fire and burn the form out, so you had better build it out of something other than a cupboard end like Annie

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Serf

Hi Dave,
Good to hear from you!
I would like the arch to extend over the row of the back wall...question for you...do you build the back wall up first, and hope that you've got the right shape, or do you build the arch first, then cut and fit the bricks in to fit under the curve of the arch?
Cheers,
Zoe.
PS Thanks for the tip about the burnable formwork!
Old 09-03-2014, 03:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
The end walls should be built first then the arches built on top of them . Then as you get expansion and contraction the arches can drop back and bear down on the end wall . Build the end wall separate it might just drop off.
As for the brick cuts you might have to use an angle grinder with a masonry or better diamond blade to par the brick down into the shape you'll want. Can't cut curves but a curve can be created from a lot of small start cuts.
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-06-2014, 01:31 AM
Serf

Hi Dave, as per your tip, I've built the back wall first...hopefully it will fit nicely under the planned arch. I was lucky enough to have a local bricklayer help me out by cutting the bricks for me. Finished laying the back wall and the starts for the arches today...getting the hang of this a bit now!
My design for the arches entails using very little mortar where the bricks join inside, so I was thinking about putting them into place on the form, then chocking them apart so they're steady, and then squidging the mortar down from the top while they're they're in the right position. After the formwork comes out (burns down!) I could go perhaps get inside the oven (could I fit?) and finish off the mortaring from the inside if it's needed...is this a cunning plan, or should I just butter the bricks as I go and place them on the arch from one side to the other?
Thanks again for your sage advice, it is awesome!
Wildflower.
Attached Thumbnails
Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!-wfo6sept1.jpg   Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!-wfo6sep2.jpg  
Old 09-06-2014, 02:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool Re: Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!

G'day wildflower,
Recon you've done awesome! You have done Annie proud, the "local bricklayer down the road" fits into local ingredients I'm sure .
I recon your plan of minimal cement on the faces then spacing the outer bricks with chocks then doing the pouring mortar in the spaces will work . In fact the Italians use the same method!
The front arch? The bit that connects to to the stove "front". What's your plan?
Regards dave

My Build

My Door