Old 12-28-2007, 04:28 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Enough Lurking - time to commit

I think all those firebricks need a 10 inch wet saw for company..... Its very sad to think of them sitting there uncut.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

George, if Brokencookie is only an hour away, why not hook up to show your expertise? I know, on the spot call. You decide. I think of what Dusty and Les did for me by showing their ovens, and it helped more than I could ever imagine. I know that when mine is done, come this summer I would like to host a pizza party and get those two over for some fun.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 12-29-2007, 07:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo View Post
I think all those firebricks need a 10 inch wet saw for company..... Its very sad to think of them sitting there uncut.
Ha! Christo, I like the way you think. I see my saw just sitting there and get this gut feeling like it's lonely and wants to get back to work. (i'm going to make it a very happy saw today!)

Bruce, you're always welcome to stop by my house and see the messiest worksite of all the current builders. Otherwise, feel free to give me a shout if you need questionable advice. I'm full of that! I do drive through Oly about once a month so I can provide housecalls (for an additional fee, of course).

George

-
Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Journeyman

Thanks for the kind offer George. As far as having the "messiest" work place...you aint seen nothing yet. With 2 kids and 2 dogs the work sites at my house become instant playgrounds. I relandscaped and terraced my front yard this summer. I had ( in the driveway) 10 yds of sand, 5 yds gravel, 10 yds soil, and 14 tons of rock. The kids thought it was a terrific playground !
I am still 3- 4 months away from ground breaking( The wife wants me to finish the bathroom remodel first). I'll give you a holler when I get closer and drop by to see your oven. I looked over your building thread and hope that I duplicate your success. Your oven looks great.
Did I read correctly that you set it on a 6 inch slab ? I will also have to deal with the chimmey issues because my oven will be within 7 ft of the house. I am debating the merits of terra cota flue and the Duratech.
With any luck I am going to post plans and concept art this week for comments and suggestions.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Apprentice

Hi 'BroCoo'
I don't mean to butt in on your plans, but if you can afford a little bit more on the pizza oven project, ditch the 36" idea and go for a 46" Pompeii. It seems to me, with a wife and kids, you're gonna' need the extra cooking surface. Don't forget, if you're making pizzas you need some space for a wood fire as you make a pizza. Trust Me, you will need the room! Welcome aboard.
Rick
Old 01-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Rick, suggesting 46"? How big is yours?

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 01-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Journeyman

I've just laid out my floor (42") and it seems huge. I imagine with the dome it does get smaller. I can't imagine a 46". we will see
Old 01-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sounds like we're in the same boat. I did my landscaping last year, in a rush to get plants/trees into the ground. As the old saying goes, the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. Anyway, the place is still a mess, especially so, considering I'm only concentrating on the oven these days. Lots to do elsewhere, but that can wait. The trees I should have planted 20 years ago are in......

My slab was only 4 inches thick, but it was place inside an existing footing that was 8ish inches wide. Half of the oven stand sits on that footing, so I think I'm OK.

Here's my take on Duratech. Like your's, my oven is close to the house, on a slab 12 -13 feet wide. I built it into a corner and once it was built, the chimney ended up about 8ish inches away from the roof of the adjacent pool enclosure, so I needed 8 feet of chimney to get the two feet over the roof as dictated by code. I'd planned for this all along but it still ended up being $500! Definitely the most costly part of the oven. Put that in your budget or plan on something less costly. The flue liner may be a better choice, but has it's own issues that you must deal with.

Send me an IM with your phone number if you want to come by. I'll push some of the cut bricks laying all over the place out of the way so you don't hurt yourself while visiting.

George

-
Old 01-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oventhusiast View Post
Hi 'BroCoo'
ditch the 36" idea and go for a 46" Pompeii.
Rick
Unforetunely I have only 9 ft 6 iches to work with. In that space I need to install the pizza oven and leave a walkway between it and the house. The most efficient use of the space requires a corner install. This should leave me with a 3 ft walkway betwee the oven and the house. It also limits me to a 36 in oven. However, with the BBQ and the smoker I should still be able to feed a small army .
I started looking for my septic tank today. I know it is in the area and if I am not careful I could end up with that sinking feeling. I have heard of garbage pizza but I never want to see a septic pizza .
Old 01-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

They say you want saturation of heat (not septic). Be careful looking, you don't want to have a scene similar to "Meet the (Fockers) Parents". 36" will be fine for that small army. You will develop a system efficiently able to accomodate.

Acoma's Tuscan: