Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Bricks & stuff

I will do more hunting around. I think it will be much easier up in Beijing area where the house is bring built. Down here where I am now is much smaller area. I am looking forward to getting started.
Thanks for the help. These Forums are great
Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Master Builder

I'm in Chiba-ken, in a small coastal town a 2 hour train ride from Tokyo. The firebrick were readily available. I ordered the ceramic boards, blankets and refractory mortar from a kiln building company. I got my chimney from a wood burning stove company. It took about a month to build. There are some photos of my oven under, "Pompeii in Japan". Good luck if I can be of any help, let me know.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:11 AM
Apprentice

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated
Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 AM
Peasant

In reality, there are very few refractory fire brick that can not be used (avoiding any exotic (and expensive) items. You want a "dry pressed" brick, not a "stiff mud" (referring to how the brick are formed - dry pressed brick consist of a fairly dry mix that is hydraulically pressed in a mold, tempered and then fired).
In America we used to have a number of refractory companies (I worked for one for years). I can assure you that our "high heat duty" - even "low heat duty" - firebrick would be sufficient for a wood fired oven.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Peasant

If available, I would recommend using "arch" brick for each ring in the dome part. These are not as easily obtained here in America as they used to be. I used #1 Arch brick in my dome and with very little variation in mortar thickness made a 42" inside diameter dome. I stood on top of it and jumped up and down on it to impress my wife. She wanted to call in doctors to check my sanity. In retrospect, I probably should not have been shouting "Look at my dome! Look at my dome!" over and over while jumping.

And I should have been wearing a beltI guess. How was I to know they were loose enough to slip down to my ankles?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:19 AM
Apprentice

Ha ha! After the long hours I anticipate putting into this oven I expect I might be proud enough to do the same once it's finished.
I doubt I will find such specialized bricks such as the Arch bricks you mentioned but I will try
Old 01-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Apprentice

Do these specs look familiar to anyone as far as...are they the right thing

Place of Origin: Hebei China (Mainland) Shape: Brick Material: Alumina Block
SiO2 Content (%): Max 43% Al2O3 Content (%): Min 50% Model Number: QN-26
Brand Name: QR color: white
Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Bricks & stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthymutt View Post
Do these specs look familiar to anyone as far as...are they the right thing

Place of Origin: Hebei China (Mainland) Shape: Brick Material: Alumina Block
SiO2 Content (%): Max 43% Al2O3 Content (%): Min 50% Model Number: QN-26
Brand Name: QR color: white
That alumina content is roughly consistant with what we call medium duty fire brick (desireable). I'd expect that those bricks would work just fine. Very small risk that they won't be perfect. It may be a moot point if that is all that is available to you at a reasonable cost

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Master Builder

Hi Dirty Dog,

Sorry I couldn't resist the name change. Do a search for Firebrick SK-34 those are the ones I used, the higher Alumina% ones are used for kiln, blast furnish, smelter, where very high heat is needed but heat retention is not.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
That alumina content is roughly consistant with what we call medium duty fire brick (desireable). I'd expect that those bricks would work just fine. Very small risk that they won't be perfect. It may be a moot point if that is all that is available to you at a reasonable cost
I second that opinion. My bricks are about 42% alumina and have worked just fine (with my few firings to date).

I think that nice, straight, chip-free bricks are about as important as the alumina % difference.... Oh, and mine varied in height about 1-2mm which gives more trouble when installing the floor. If you cand hand-pick 'em, that's golden.