Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/)
-   -   Brickless in New Hampshire (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/brickless-new-hampshire-4106.html)

afterburner 05-22-2008 12:38 PM

Brickless in New Hampshire

Hi everyone,
I've been enjoying your posts. Looks like you've got a great online community here. I could use some help locating the low/med duty firebrick in Southern NH
all the masonary supply places w/in 40 miles sell the high duty 2300deg F kind. Can I use this type? Is there a disadvantage? I'll post some pics soon.
Wish me luck.
Pete

DrakeRemoray 05-22-2008 02:10 PM

Re: Brickless in New Hampshire

I do think there are a few disadvantages to using high duty firebrick.
First, they are usually more expensive.
Second, my understanding is that they do not retain heat as well and tend to be insulating type bricks.
Third, I understand they they are harder to cut.

I would keep trying...
I had to use medium duty in mine and they seem to be fine.

nissanneill 05-22-2008 03:37 PM

You forgot one Drake
I am lead to believe that they also absorb more heat then the lower ones, so you can get your oven too hot.
As far as being harder, I can vouch for that as I cut one with a diamond brick saw and it was like cutting through a block of steel, so hard, and with so many to cut.... not for this little duck!
With the number that you will need to make an oven, it will add consideranle weight to the project maybe requiring increased foundations.

Neill

CajunKnight 05-22-2008 04:34 PM

Welcome to the site. Hope all works in your favor. I was looking on the web and found this one in southern NH. They may be able to point you in the right direction. According to the web search it says they are a brick manufacturer.

Arthur Whitcomb
28 Old Homestead Hwy.
North Swanzey, NH 03431
PO Box 747
Keene, NH 03431
Tel: 603-352-0101
Fax: 603-357-4850

afterburner 05-22-2008 06:48 PM

Thanks all for your replies,
I was looking at some old posts and this discussion has come up previously. Apparently, the bricks I had located are considered low / med duty. They are used on the insides of fireplaces they are kind of beige in color and weigh about 7-8LBS each. They cost 1.09 each. Next time I'll dig a little deeper into the prev posts. Is there a way to search for a specific topic using keywords?
Well thanks again.
Pete

dmun 05-22-2008 07:33 PM

There is a search function (there is a search tab right below the "Welcome your name" on every page. It has some limitations, it won't search for short words like "UK", but it's sure better than plowing through the directory. The most common problem? for common searches like "fire brick" you will get too many responses, most of them not to topic.

Frances 05-23-2008 06:02 AM

Don't worry, I only noticed that function after finishing my oven. So you've already got a head start... :)

Baba73 05-23-2008 10:17 AM

Hi Pete, Welcome to the forum. I am also from NH. Where did you find those bricks for $1.09? What part of granite are you from? We are from Claremont, good luck with your build. Hope to talk back with you. Aaron

TDVT 05-23-2008 10:50 AM

$1.09 is a good price. There is an Arthur Whitcomb up near here in Barre & they are getting around $1.80 per brick. (Price in March, maybe more now)

CajunKnight 05-23-2008 05:39 PM

always ask about seconds and commons on firebricks. They arent perfect but may be usable and a lot cheaper. I will be using the good stuff on the floor tho.