Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/)
-   -   Brick Oven (Gas fired) (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/brick-oven-gas-fired-9472.html)

Aldream 12-16-2009 10:52 AM

Brick Oven (Gas fired)

Hello everyone...

When I bought my new house I decided to add a brick oven in the kitchen. The oven itself was constructed outside the kitchen while the door opens inside. It is fired using gas instead of wood. I have two burners; one one each side fed from a gas tank. I have the gas regulator fully open which gives me good flame. However, I am still not able to get the oven as hot as it should be. Although I never measured the temperature inside, but I am sure it is not near where it supposed to be since baking a pizza takes around 10 minutes. When I open both burners on full blast, I get a lot of heat but the bottom of the oven does not get hot enough which results in pizza that is cooked on top and uncooked on the bottom.
The dimentions of the oven are: 120cm (Deep)X 105cm(Wide). Door hight is 40cm and width is 55cm. Dome height from bottom is 70cm.
I am attaching some pictures of the oven hoping that I will get some help to have this oven work properly. Thanks in advance.

dmun 12-16-2009 12:16 PM

Re: Brick Oven (Gas fired)

You need a LOT of heat to get a oven up to pizza temperatures. Safety issues aside, you need a huge industrial sized gas burner to do the job.

This is one of the reasons we discourage the use of gas burners in home ovens. The other is saftey, particularly if the oven is built into the house.

Aldream 12-16-2009 12:55 PM

I inserted few pictures in my post but I don't know why they're not showing up.

I decided to use gas since it is cheaper than wood where I live. Also, most brick ovens in the local restaurants are either deisel or gas fired.

I was thinking of adding a door to help retain heat and speed heating up the oven. Do you think that will help?

nissanneill 12-16-2009 03:12 PM

Hi Aldream,
I think that although you have the best intentions, you are going to find that your gas firing will not achieve the desired temperatures for pizza baking.
As Dmun says, you need a fierce fire with gas, even with wood to get your oven up to 500˚C (900-1000˚F) and your dome or barrel will receive most of the heat. Putting a door on will allow any heat to stabilize and heat your heart but the door will also prevent the necessary supply of oxygen need for your gas fame. It also could extinguish your flame creating a potential explosive situation unless you have extensive and expensive safety mechanisms in place.
A wood fire however, has a huge amount of heat in the coals just sitting on your hearth heating it up whilst the flames are heating your dome/barrel.
If it were mine, I would fire initially with wood and then maintain the heat with the gas but that will not necessarily put the required heat into your hearth.

Neill

PS. I think that you need 5 postings before you can add your pictures.

Aldream 12-16-2009 03:30 PM

Do you think the dimentions are ok though? I was worried that there might be a problem in the sizing of the oven to start with.

I think I will try wood next time to see how it will go.

Neil2 12-16-2009 04:45 PM

"Do you think the dimentions are ok though?"

Yes, they look like they are in the range and ratios suitable for a WFO.

I also would be surprised if the normal home gas burners will push the temperature much beyond 600 F. (You need to get to 1000 F or so)

james 12-16-2009 05:17 PM

Aldream,

Photos would be really helpful. Once we see those, we can offer some better advice.
James

Aldream 12-16-2009 06:13 PM

I included some pictures in the original post but they didn't show. I will try again.

stormy 12-17-2009 01:38 PM

Buy a gas jet that is sold for a pottery kiln. They add the air and gas together before they enter the oven and will heat your oven to about any temp. you might want.

RTflorida 12-17-2009 03:06 PM

I have one word to say if this is not done in a professional manner and the proper safety precautions taken.

BOOM! :eek: :(

RT