Old 12-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Serf

Default Re: Brick Oven (Gas fired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy View Post
Buy a gas jet that is sold for a pottery kiln. They add the air and gas together before they enter the oven and will heat your oven to about any temp. you might want.
That is basically what I have right now. The air mixes with the gas just outside the oven. The burners are just galvanized pipes with holes drilled in them. Please take a look at the attached pictures. I hope they will show this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Brick Oven (Gas fired)-photo_0011.jpg   Brick Oven (Gas fired)-photo_0012.jpg   Brick Oven (Gas fired)-photo_0013.jpg   Brick Oven (Gas fired)-photo_0005.jpg  
Old 12-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Serf

A good book on kiln set-up as far as gas: THE KILN BOOK by Frederick L. Olsen. He gives a good breakdown on how to install and test a gas firing system. Gas can kill you in a number of ways so it is best to read up on it before you run a open pipe into your house.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
A good book on kiln set-up as far as gas: THE KILN BOOK by Frederick L. Olsen. He gives a good breakdown on how to install and test a gas firing system. Gas can kill you in a number of ways so it is best to read up on it before you run a open pipe into your house.
I might add that gas kilns are in workshops, run by professionals, not in houses with kids and pets running around. I can't tell you how much your pictures frighten me.

One other note: galvanized pipe is not intended for high heat applications. Zinc + heat is not a good idea.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Laborer

Aldream

Can't give you any advice the gas topic, but would like to compliment you on the brickwork in your pizza-oven. Very nice job, but they don't look like fire-bricks to me. What type of brick are they? Also nobody has asked you what type of insulation is under the hearth. If the hearth itself is'nt made from a heat retaining brick and their is no insulating layer between your slab and the hearth then this might cause you problems. There probably is, and I'm just summising.

Interesting thread. Shall keep tuned in and I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Terry (C.F)

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannyfradock View Post
Aldream

Can't give you any advice the gas topic, but would like to compliment you on the brickwork in your pizza-oven. Very nice job, but they don't look like fire-bricks to me. What type of brick are they? Also nobody has asked you what type of insulation is under the hearth. If the hearth itself is'nt made from a heat retaining brick and their is no insulating layer between your slab and the hearth then this might cause you problems. There probably is, and I'm just summising.

Interesting thread. Shall keep tuned in and I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Terry (C.F)
Thank you for the compliments. I had a professioanl do this for me. He builds brick ovens for local restaurants; so I am assuming he used the right type of bricks and insulation. I am going to get in touch with him and get more details in that regard then I will post them here.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy View Post
Thank you for advice. I will try to get hold of this book.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Serf

dmun: although I realize the risk of using gas; but almost every restaurant around here have a similar oven as mine with the same setup. I wish I could find standard burners that would fit in my oven, but I doubt I can find one because of the length.

You mentioned that zinc and heat is not good; in what way?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

When heated, zinc "gases" - creating a toxic vapor. Do a google search of "metal fume fever" and you will find plenty of info on the effects. Welders and any foundry workers are well aware that galvanized steel and high heat don't mix. Damaging effects are not just long term......meaning, the right concentration of this vapor in an enclosed space (your home) could prove fatal from merely 1 exposure (heating your oven for pizza).

I hate to sound like the grim reaper.....but damn, this is your home. Just not worth the risk.

RT
Old 12-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Journeyman

I look at your fire, and it's pretty inconsequential compared to a wood fire heating up an oven. I suppose it would just take longer, particularly because there is no fire on the floor, the floor needs to absorb heat from the roof. Do you know what insulation is under the floor?

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread:
Old 12-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is why gas work is done with black iron. Zinc and heat=big time no-no.