Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/)
-   -   A big hello from Green Bay (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/big-hello-green-bay-16368.html)

HummerGB 07-17-2011 06:00 AM

A big hello from Green Bay

I have an oven underway, currently to the vermiculite layer on the hearth. Looking forward to the interaction on this forum. What a great way to share information. I am a steamfitter and welder by trade so this brick and mortar thing is a bit challenging . I do have a problem listed in the "Newbie section" in that fireclay is not available in Green Bay, Orco set seems to be the thing of choice. Do I need an alternitive to set my floor on. This stuff is expensive.

dmun 07-17-2011 07:48 AM

Re: A big hello from Green Bay

"can't get fire clay" is a common complaint. They don't stock it at the big box stores. You can get it at your local brickyard or masonry supply, or if they can't get it you can try the refractory suppliers where you get your refractory insulation, or a pottery supplier. It comes in fifty pound bags, and it's cheap.

HummerGB 07-17-2011 10:03 AM

We don't have any refractory suppliers. I found one guy in Appleton selling a type of fireclay for $139 for 50lbs. The pre mix buckets seem to be all I can get. These are really nice brick yards too. Two out of the three told me the last fireclay they had went bad on the shelf and they never reordered it. The refractory insulation I have to order that too. the only supplier in town wanted $239 for 25' of 2". This seems insane.

azpizzanut 07-17-2011 11:27 AM

HummerGB,

Search for the "fire clay" by another name. Printed on the bag I had were the words "Masons Clay" I've also heard it referred to as "mortar clay".

Cheers,

HummerGB 07-17-2011 01:09 PM

Okay I am going to hit the brickyards up agian tomorrow. I'll have to expand out to surrounding cities. Thanks

dbhansen 07-17-2011 07:26 PM

For ceramic insulating blanket (and other supplies), try Milwaukee Firebrick on Miller Pkwy in Milwaukee. Their blanket rolls were $60 each a couple of years ago.

dmun 07-18-2011 04:40 AM

Quote:

fireclay they had went bad
Went bad? It's clay! All you need to do is keep it dry and it will last until the end of time, and even if it got wet all you would need to do is dry it out and bust it up.

HummerGB 07-18-2011 06:29 AM

SCORE. KRC Rock.com 50# bag of Muddox fireclay shipped to my door for $14.41. Now it just needs to get here.

HummerGB 07-23-2011 07:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This weeks progress. I think I'am getting the hang of it. The wet towels work really nice during this hot humid weather.

mrchipster 07-24-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HummerGB (Post 117705)
This weeks progress. I think I'am getting the hang of it. The wet towels work really nice during this hot humid weather.

I see the orientation for your arch bricks and they appear to be mortared on the narrow sides I think that unless you reinforce this area with another layer or are planning on a thermal break with insulated fire brick you may have a weak arch here.

Anyone else want to chime in on this?

Chip