Old 07-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Peasant

Default Re: A big hello from Green Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpizzanut View Post
HummerGB,

If you are not going to put on a chimney then I don't see a problem making a door to fit inside the entrance like it were a plug. Put a flange around the outside of the door so it doesn't go in too far and cut off the bottom of the flange so it will fit around the two bottom bricks on right and left. That's the best you can do at this point and I'd guess it would be nearly as effective as any other door arrangement. Those two bottom bricks are keeping you from making a reveal. You're almost there except for those.

Cheers,
I am going to put on a chimney. I decided today to notch around those brick for the reveal. I had noway to cut the brick so it, will look a little funny. oh well.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Journeyman

HummerGB,

OK, the basic door design will be the same and you're good to go. I thought possibly you were going to put in a chimney but didn't know for sure. After giving it some thought I figured the door design would suit both situations.

Best wishes,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpizzanut View Post
HummerGB,

OK, the basic door design will be the same and you're good to go. I thought possibly you were going to put in a chimney but didn't know for sure. After giving it some thought I figured the door design would suit both situations.

Best wishes,
So Bob Iam thinking to use the 2" drop to my advantage. The neat glass door I have seen on here I would put the sliding vent down there. Now I just have to build the arch. I started today and had some problems. We'll see how tomorrow goes. Wed. I am gone for a week I Reeeally want it done ane let it sit for a week.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerGB View Post
I achieved dome today. I know it has some technical flaws but I am optimistic it will work. Hey big of a deal is it to put the door recess after the vent opening. I screwed that up too.
I do not think this is a big deal. Make lemon-aid out of lemons.

You could quite easily cut back the two lowest arch bricks with an angle grinder and make a nice door seal at the outside of your current arch.

A simple notch about 3/4 inch deep would allow for a nice seal and then you could start your tunnel at that point. This has the added benefit of being able to provide a small thermal break at this point also. You could make a very small gap that could be filled with Vermecrete and veneered with fire brick as a thermal break.

Chip
Old 08-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
I do not think this is a big deal. Make lemon-aid out of lemons.

You could quite easily cut back the two lowest arch bricks with an angle grinder and make a nice door seal at the outside of your current arch.

A simple notch about 3/4 inch deep would allow for a nice seal and then you could start your tunnel at that point. This has the added benefit of being able to provide a small thermal break at this point also. You could make a very small gap that could be filled with Vermecrete and veneered with fire brick as a thermal break.

Chip
I got it notched. Didn't think I was going to get the grinder down in there. Had to do a little chisel action too.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Peasant

it rained today so I started making tools a banjo peel and a rake. I have a coal scoop and an ash scoop in the works also a couple of brushes.
Attached Thumbnails
A big hello from Green Bay-img_20110802_220955.jpg  
Old 08-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
it rained today so I started making tools a banjo peel and a rake. I have a coal scoop and an ash scoop in the works also a couple of brushes.
I also plan on making my own tools.

Where did you find brass/copper brush heads? I have been looking around and cannot find any at a reasonable price.

BTW your oven is looking very nice. and a prime choice in beer if I do say so.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
I also plan on making my own tools.

Where did you find brass/copper brush heads? I have been looking around and cannot find any at a reasonable price.

BTW your oven is looking very nice. and a prime choice in beer if I do say so.
I know, I havn't yet either. Amazon has brass brushes. I may buy 2 and cut the handle off round them down, screw the little devils together, mount on handle. Right now this is what I am thimking.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I know, I havn't yet either. Amazon has brass brushes. I may buy 2 and cut the handle off round them down, screw the little devils together, mount on handle. Right now this is what I am thimking.
6 x 19 Brass/Flat Scrub Brush - Gordon Brush

I found these and they only sell in packs of 12 but if someone was interested in taking some I could work out a deal to reship them via priority mail and thy would only be about $16 each or 2 for $25

Any one interested?

Chip
Old 08-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Try here.

Oven and Grill Brushes : Braun Brush Co.