Old 07-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: A big hello from Green Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
I see the orientation for your arch bricks and they appear to be mortared on the narrow sides I think that unless you reinforce this area with another layer or are planning on a thermal break with insulated fire brick you may have a weak arch here.

Anyone else want to chime in on this?

Chip
Looks like the arch and dome wont come together as the should too, and you will end up with with a teardrop dome top rather than a round one.
Nothing wrong with the teardrop as such, it just means some extra fancy cutting to get it all to happen and marry up.

If the arch bricks were full bricks and back a further 115mm (half brick thickness) they would probably intersect the dome as they should, and no teardrop.

There is a thread here (Teardrop) about Mike D's experience

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Peasant

Chip, I pondered on doing that. I cut those to that size. 2.5"x3". I have a full brick length running up infront of that for the second arch. I am tight for space running out to the front of the hearth. I must say when that keystone got tapped it, that thing liffted off my form and just stood there. Wet mortar and all, and I didn't even tap it in that hard, really amaizing I thought. You think I should re-do it with thicker brick.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would need to agree with Al, "Brickie" You need to check your oven geometry to see where the bricks meet the arch at the top, I think you are headed for two issues here weak arch and significant teardrop because chains 5 - 8 will be reaching hard to try and get to the arch. Use your Indispensable tool to check the intersections of the chains with the top of your arch, Put a brick in it and see how it intersects. I think you will find that the brick will be coming in a little short.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Peasant

Okay I've been out there working and just checked e-mails. Row 7 will hit the arch third brick up . Row 8 might hit the top of the arch, I am guessin and inch short. I might be able to hook the brick onto it like I saw in Les's pics.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
I would need to agree with Al, "Brickie" You need to check your oven geometry to see where the bricks meet the arch at the top, I think you are headed for two issues here weak arch and significant teardrop because chains 5 - 8 will be reaching hard to try and get to the arch. Use your Indispensable tool to check the intersections of the chains with the top of your arch, Put a brick in it and see how it intersects. I think you will find that the brick will be coming in a little short.
After working with this today and working to the arch I see what your saying. I took some measurments, And it is out of round by a half inch. Long to the arch. Maybe after the arch I can make up the half inch. On row six to the O.D. I had 32 1/2". Back to arch 33"
Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerGB View Post
After working with this today and working to the arch I see what your saying. I took some measurments, And it is out of round by a half inch. Long to the arch. Maybe after the arch I can make up the half inch. On row six to the O.D. I had 32 1/2". Back to arch 33"
Remember to that the ideal intersection is inside of arch to inside the brick coming from the chain of bricks. When you have a brick that is just hitting the arch with it's outside lower edge there is no real material from the brick in contact with the arch at that point only a sharp point of contact. This minimal contact also creates a great deal of outward thrust on the arch because there is no down force only outward horizontal force; the arch is strong in downward (gravity type) forces but not strong in lateral.

I hope this makes sense.

Chip
Old 07-26-2011, 05:40 AM
Peasant

The sharp corners is what I am seeing. Makes perfect sense. Or it's my poor cutting skills. I think I have to divise a plan to reenforce somehow.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post

If the arch bricks were full bricks and back a further 115mm (half brick thickness) they would probably intersect the dome as they should, and no teardrop.

There is a thread here (Teardrop) about Mike D's experience
Quoting brickie --- you may want to rebuild the arch with full bricks, not hard at this point as you can nip them out with an angle grinder at the joints.

Chip
Old 07-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Peasant

I achieved dome today. I know it has some technical flaws but I am optimistic it will work. Hey big of a deal is it to put the door recess after the vent opening. I screwed that up too.
Attached Thumbnails
A big hello from Green Bay-281658_257671987579236_100000093108901_1154718_110396_n-1-.jpg  
Old 07-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Journeyman

HummerGB,

If you are not going to put on a chimney then I don't see a problem making a door to fit inside the entrance like it were a plug. Put a flange around the outside of the door so it doesn't go in too far and cut off the bottom of the flange so it will fit around the two bottom bricks on right and left. That's the best you can do at this point and I'd guess it would be nearly as effective as any other door arrangement. Those two bottom bricks are keeping you from making a reveal. You're almost there except for those.

Cheers,