Old 01-23-2011, 05:23 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Aloha!

If you know anyone at the local power plant/sugar mill, you can have them check with their maintenance department on where they get the insulation. You may be just so lucky to score some "off spec" stuff because it got wet - you'd be surprised what maintenance departments/purchasing tosses!

Chris

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Peasant

Thanks for the info guys, I started checking around and finally found someone that could order the stuff, but there on vacation for a week... typical hawaii... hehe.... ok well considering it is extremely wet on the BIsland maybe I should pick something else to cover with. What would be the best material to make a waterproof coat with?
Old 08-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Peasant

Aloha everyone,
Getting nearer to finishing off the dome. Will post some more recent pics soon. I have decided to insulate the dome with vermicrete due to the fact that its easier for me to get and will be cheaper. I still would like to finish the outside with lava rock, but realize I need something that is waterproof to seal the vermicrete layer. What is the recommendation that you folks would have? We get a lot of rain in Hilo/Puna, wettest city in America! thanks in advance

Karl
Old 08-06-2011, 07:04 PM

In wet climates, I think you should take your cue from the local structures. My guess is that there aren't many lava-rock roofs there.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Peasant

Aloha! Finally got a chance to visit the land after graduation and finished the oven to where I can bake in it regularly with good efficiency. Here is the first step, including build a makeshift roof out of local strawberry guava, eucalyptus, and ohia poles, and a good test for the Hilti cordless set. I decided to finish the dome with 6 inches of vermicrete, and added a TelTru SS industrial thermometer that can read over 1000F. I removed the SS pipe fitting covering the inside tip which is only 1/8" dia (as opposed to the 1 inch fitting end. As I was laying the soldier course I left a space near the hearth off to the side of the oven (after firing the second time I actually saw what I thought was the end protruding into the oven) on top of the hearth.
Attached Thumbnails
Aloha!-photo-1.jpg   Aloha!-photo-7.jpg   Aloha!-photo-13.jpg  

Last edited by Sananguero; 06-05-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Peasant

These pictures show putting on the vermicrete layer, which I did in several layers. I actually did use some perlcrete, which you can see in the color striations on the dome. The larger size layers actually seemed to do a better job insulating although I found it to be more difficult to work with and/or needed more cement mixed into the larger size. I just wanted to try it out since it was cheaper than the vermiculite. I however, did not want to take the risk of using cinders, which would have been the most cost effective. I plan to try an experimental oven of all local rock and see how the results are. I then lit the second curing fire, although first one in a year, which let the fire get up to about 300 or so, although I know that some bricks were very hot including the front arch bricks. Amazingly there was only a hairline fracture on the front in the mortar!!! I have a feeling the extra bit of lime may have cured nicely these past two years it has sit in the damp Puna rainforest. May not be the best for keeping things dry, but perhaps excellent for curing masonry.
Next I covered the oven with chx wire with metal ties to the rebar extending from the concrete hearth pad underneath and the CMU below. I wanted to make this dome as water resistant as possible so I slapped on a coat of cement and mortars sand. I also looked into some sealants for cements, nearly every one seems to contain petroleum derivatives. In that regards still looking for suggestions...
Attached Thumbnails
Aloha!-photo-11.jpg   Aloha!-photo-9.jpg   Aloha!-photo-8.jpg   Aloha!-photo-6.jpg  

Last edited by Sananguero; 06-03-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: did not attach all pics
Old 06-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Peasant

this is how the oven looks now with the cement coat. Not sure if you can make out the detail but the chx wire is still exposed partially. Hopefully this will allow the next coat of mortar for the lava rock finish to grab onto. I had a thought though. Rather than use a petroleum derivative, would adding a natural oil that is saturated and has a high smoke point soak into the masonry and act as a lipid barrier to water? I am considering to try coconut oil to seal in this sand/cement mix coat from water. There were a couple of hot spots after firing the oven for several hours on the outside of the insulation, but overall the insulation felt cool to the touch even when the thermometer was over 600F. Some of the same areas were still warm on the sand/cement coating as well. Overall I am pleased with the insulation however. The first curing fire was done before the insulation was complete and I was able to observe the huge difference in performance between the two. The thermometer seems ok, although it did seem hotter in the oven than the 600 when we baked some pizzas, but then again, we didnt let the heat equalize, we just went for it! We were so hungry we still didnt care, the pizza still tasted great, all of us searching for a fill after cutting woods and moving rocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Aloha!-photo-5.jpg  
Old 06-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice build. Your pictures are rightside up, sideways, and upside down. Lay off the Maui wowie What island are you on?

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Peasant

Lol Mahaloz Les ya apologies about the pictures, believe it or not they actually are downloaded right side up on my screen, but have a feeling since they are camera phone pics thats why they turned out that way. FYI the oven is on the Puna/Hilo side of the Big Island.

Last edited by Sananguero; 06-03-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Brother,

My family is spread out between Maui and Oahu, none on the big island though. For me I am a mainlander in Utah. Nice touch to use local volcanic rock. I am just starting my dome now so it must be great to be at the stage you are at.

Russell