Old 11-22-2009, 01:32 AM
Peasant

Default Re: The adventure begins

Another good weekends work. Spent the weekend trimming the floor bricks to fit flush with the template and cutting the soldier course bricks and course number one.
Cutting bricks was reasonably simple although my saw has a cut depth about 7mm too short so every cut was done in two steps.
Have gone for a taper on one side of the soldier course.
For course Number 1 went for the three cut option. First two cuts create a parallelogram and the third cut creates two trapezoids which I then tapered at a ~6 degree angle for the dome. Note if you tapered the brick first you would need four cuts instead of three and waste more brick. the bricks are about 120mm on the long edge and 98mm on the short edge and a ~5.4 angle for the three cuts.
It was a refreshment in algebra, solving simultaneous equations an trigonometry. It took me longer to work out than it used to.
Attached Thumbnails
The adventure begins-pizza-oven-floor.jpg   The adventure begins-pizza-oven-floor-bricks.jpg   The adventure begins-soldier-course-1-bricks-cut.jpg   The adventure begins-course-1-3-cuts.jpg   The adventure begins-course-1.jpg  

Old 11-22-2009, 02:56 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinoz View Post
It was a refreshment in algebra, solving simultaneous equations an trigonometry
This sound a little like when I was building my inner arch entry into the dome. The cord (ie the with of the entry) was 455mm. The distance from the cord to the circumference of the arch was 75mm and I needed to know the radius or the arch to draw the template. I solved this problem with a piece of string but curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to know how to solve this mathematically. I asked everyone but no one was able to give me a formula straight away. My neighbour eventually Goggled it as he was also frustrated and eventually we came up with a mathematical solution. I won’t repeat the equation as it was too complicated but I am happy to lend my bit of string to anyone who also needs to works this out.

Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
(Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)
Old 11-22-2009, 03:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Oz,,
Your floor is looking great, Nice cut work,,

Cheers
Mark
Old 11-26-2009, 04:29 AM
Peasant

That was FUN. Put in the soldier course for the dome tonight. It went very well and a lot easier than I thought it would be. The mortar from Claypave was like spreading butter mixed with sand and after the first 5 or so bricks got into a rhythm.
With a bit of luck and some more evening progress I might still meet my first pizza on 22 Dec target. Hard to keep the silly season out of the way at the moment though.
Attached Thumbnails
The adventure begins-light.jpg   The adventure begins-laying-soldier-cse.jpg   The adventure begins-soldier-cse-.jpg   The adventure begins-soldier-course-dome-complete-time-beer.jpg  
Old 11-26-2009, 05:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oz,,
Your off to a great start... Looks nice and neat.... Keep up the good work

Cheers
Mark
Old 11-27-2009, 02:20 AM
Peasant

Course 2 Completed tonight but two bricks short. Back to 5th grade for counting lessons I think.
These couple of photos show the center board I have made out of structural ply in three pieces (so I can get it out at the end). The pivot for my indispensable tool is mounted with the ball joint center level with the top of the soldier course.
The plan last weekend was to spend this weekend laying bricks but I guess Ill be cutting bricks instead.
Attached Thumbnails
The adventure begins-course-1-indespensible-tool.jpg   The adventure begins-support-board-center.jpg   The adventure begins-2-bricks-short.jpg  
Old 12-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Peasant

Haven't posted for a while. The silly season has given me a variety of distractions so progress is not where I would like it at this stage. Have got up to course 7 with the next task to start to tie into the dome arch.
Attached Thumbnails
The adventure begins-dome-arch.jpg   The adventure begins-course-7.jpg   The adventure begins-tying-into-arch.jpg   The adventure begins-indespensable-tool-.jpg  
Old 12-27-2009, 02:06 AM
Peasant

Boxing Day Progress was to tie in and lock the course over the arch.
Wasnt as neat as I would of liked it but is nice and tight. Used some fireclay to fill in some of the small holes.
Finished course 8 and 9 today and cut the bricks for the arch.
Attached Thumbnails
The adventure begins-course-8-front-view.jpg   The adventure begins-course-8-top-view.jpg   The adventure begins-course-9-top-view.jpg   The adventure begins-course-9-front-view.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

hi oz,,

Your joints are nice and tight... looks great.. I wouldnt worry about the neatness.. you cant see it when theres a fire inside..
cheers
mark
Old 12-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Peasant

Good progress yesterday. Getting close to that last brick. Have been balancing the work with mother nature getting in to work when when the rain eases up.
The trick now is to work out how to best fit the top keystone brick. The hole is a mix of a hexagon and an octagon.
I got a picture of my bricksaw setup. (only a few more bricks left and that is where a majority of my time has been) Im using a table saw with a tiltable top and a 215mm diamond blade. I soak my bricks in a wheel barrow of water for ~20min and soak between cuts to eliminate dust. It may eliminate dust but not the mess. I also have a dust extraction system which works well at keeping a negative pressure at the blade but doesnt have enough guts to lift the dust (wet brick particles) into the bag so it deposits in the pipe and needs to be emptied every 30 bricks.
I bought the cheapest blade and it has cut over 200 bricks. Every brick is tapered and all bar the arch bricks and soldier course are tapered on the end into truncated pyramids.
Attached Thumbnails
The adventure begins-cutting-bricks.jpg   The adventure begins-course-11.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.