Old 09-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Window for Oven Door

Most oven doors have two glass panels, I think apart from insulating better it would eliminate the temperature differential responsible for the glass tending to crack.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well the porthole door is done and performs beautifully, I tested it with a well saturated oven with a starting temp of 420F 215C and after two hours the temp dropped to 410F 210C so I am very happy with the performance. Ambient was about 75F 24C.

I used a 5/16 square u-bolt cut in half to provide standoffs for the wood handles. The handles are drilled in the ends so the receive the cut end of the u-bolt.

I decided to use the handle hole to put in a thermometer held in place with two silicone washers.

Here are the photos.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Window for Oven Door-sq_u_bolt.jpg   Window for Oven Door-img_1311.jpg   Window for Oven Door-img_1313.jpg  
Old 09-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I thought I should add a couple of photos with the door on the oven.

No bread inside but you can clearly see inside the oven thru the door.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Window for Oven Door-dscn3825.jpg   Window for Oven Door-dscn3826.jpg   Window for Oven Door-dscn3829.jpg  
Old 09-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I love it. I always dislike opening the oven door when baking or roasting because you lose so much heat, especially in my small oven. This solves it.

Last edited by david s; 09-09-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Apprentice

Brilliant! I love it! What did you use in the middle of the door (besides the window)?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another door Im going to have to make, Ill have more doors than oven tools.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by okn View Post
Brilliant! I love it! What did you use in the middle of the door (besides the window)?
See my post "Chip's 42 in Minnesota" for a more detailed description. But briefly it is a stainless steel inner panel with "L" brackets attached with stainless pop rivets, inside the door is 3/4 inches of FB board. The glass door is glued to the outer panel with 600F degree silicone.

The outer panel is aluminum, SS for the inside and Al for the outside to try and combine weight and heat transfer benefits of each.

Total weight came in at 6.5 pounds

The SS inner panel does not physically touch the outer Al skin. Only transfer points are supports for handles, and "L" brackets that rivet the two panels together.

I hope this helps.

Chip

Last edited by mrchipster; 09-09-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Fixed a couple of typos
Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

very cool idea.

I think the perfect glass for a project like this would be ceramic glass, like what is used in a wood stove, like Neoceram or Robax. It is good to 1300F continuous temps.

I looked around and found that it is not too expensive for small pieces. This place gives online quotes and a 6 x 8 inch piece is only $43. More than a buck, for sure - but not an insane amount

Fireviewglass - Suppliers of Fireplace, Stove and Tempered Glass, Pyroceram, Robax and Tempax

I think this type ceramic glass is commonly available at glass shops, which could cut it to the shape you wanted for your project. Certainly easier than sourcing an oven door!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: Window for Oven Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
very cool idea.

I think this type ceramic glass is commonly available at glass shops, which could cut it to the shape you wanted for your project. Certainly easier than sourcing an oven door!
Thanks, I will give this door a go and see how it works. I will probably eventually graduate to a more sophisticated door but I wanted to give this a try. I hope it survives the winter, as I like to bake bread then. the door is structurally strong so I am sure if I decide to put in a piece of ceramic glass at some point I could adapt it.

Quote:
Another door Im going to have to make, Ill have more doors than oven tools.....
He who dies with the most tools wins...Or something like that

Chip
Old 09-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Awesome door, Chip. While baking bread yesterday, I was wishing I had a window!

Updated!