Old 09-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Why does home brew need to cure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post

The lakes here freeze to a thickness of 4 feet in January.
And I struggle to get out of bed if we have a mild frost....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
How hard was it to knock down? A dome is inherently stable, cracks or no cracks.
It was in so many pieces it was real easy. I stuck a screw driver into one of the larger cracks and it came apart like a jigsaw puzzle.

I only used a hammer (very carefully) when I took apart the inner arch. interestingly the inner arch had no cracks at all and there was no cracking within 6 inches of it. I used the inward reaching arch technique developed by GianniFocaccia (John) and others it seems to be very stable so I used the same technique in the rebuild. I am also glad I used a thermal break at the transition to the flue arch.

Chip
Old 09-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

But you did not try and stand on it or kick it down? The reason I ask is that I have seen ovens with as bad or worse cracking that performed just fine.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Yes, 6 days and I am sure glad I used a thermal break methodology
Would love to see some pics....!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
But you did not try and stand on it or kick it down? The reason I ask is that I have seen ovens with as bad or worse cracking that performed just fine.
I was not willing to finish my brick enclosure and metal roof and then later find out I needed to disassemble even more work to fix a problem I knew I had.

Well I guess it is to late now to go back..

I am happy with the choice I made to rebuild it.

I still have some cleanup to do but the dome is sound.

More photos in next post.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Why does home brew need to cure?-dome_brick_1.jpg   Why does home brew need to cure?-dome_brick_3.jpg   Why does home brew need to cure?-dome_brick_7.jpg   Why does home brew need to cure?-dome_brick_9.jpg   Why does home brew need to cure?-roof_structure_1.jpg  

Old 09-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The roof design is a type of offset delta wing over the oven and the prep table; the left wing of the roof is slightly longer to cover most of the prep table.

The structure is welded 2X1.5 wide flange I beam steel. The front peak extends beyond the entrance to the oven by about 3 feet.

I made a temporary door out of a piece of stainless that will end up being the inner surface of my insulated door.

My original dome (now a pile of rubble) had a piece of stainless between the inner and outer arch to protect the leading edge and create a nice smooth surface for the door seal but I could not figure out how to guarantee a perfect fit building it in reverse so I left it off the second build.

Last photo is of original stainless piece at the thermal break.

The thermal break is still intact as you can see in photo 3, this gap will be filled with perlite; The outer flue arch still has the carbon build up intact; very strange to look at...

I will remove the floor protector after my final internal cleanup.

Sorry John, the construction is not quite up to your beautiful work.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Why does home brew need to cure?-temp_door.jpg   Why does home brew need to cure?-roof.jpg   Why does home brew need to cure?-dscn2853.jpg   Why does home brew need to cure?-dome_brick_8.jpg   Why does home brew need to cure?-arch_brick_r_3.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 09-30-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Chip,
I am blown away that you could build a dome in 6 days! Sure, you learned from your first oven, but still! Cutting, fitting and mortaring each brick takes time and skill, especially when it's just you doing the work. When you're hauling pizzas in and out of your working oven and I'm still thinking my way through the next step, we'll both know who the real mason is! Kudos on the thermal break. The family will thank you for the wonderful, slow-cooked feasts forthcoming. Again, killer job.
John
Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

No worries, I don't think you made the wrong decision in rebuilding it, if anything the choice to use old brick of unknown qualities was the mistake.

I can tell you the most likely reason why it cracked as bad and in the fashion it did though: mortar, as a rule, should be weaker than the brick.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tom,

I agree that the bricks were a poor choice but free is hard to resist sometimes and I got them long before finding this site. This is really the first time I got bit hard on a "deal". So as I said before "Lessons Learned".

The mortar I used on the first build was FB mortar and it holds like a weld as you can clearly see.

This new build is Home Brew 3:1:1:1 and it sure is easier to work with; like spreading peanut butter, I hope it is as secure on the bricks.

John,

The last six days did take it's toll, All week I followed the guidance of an old chestnut that a previous manger of mine used. "Remember when you put in a 12 hour day you only put in half a days work." I put in a couple that came close to a full day.

As a result I have been inside all day nursing a nasty cold with "Home Brew - NyQuil" (Brandy, Honey, and Lemonade).

Time for some sleep.

Chip

Last edited by mrchipster; 09-30-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
I take my hat off to you. Both for the 6 day dome build and for living somewhere the lakes freeze 4 feet thick.
I'm 51 years old, and I have seen snow exactly once in my entire life! It was reasonably thick on the ground, in the Manninarie hills just north of Jamestown, South Australia about 10 or 12 years ago. I heard about it on the local radio and drove the family about 50 miles to see it. It was actually snowing/sleeting when I got there, and I could hardly comprehend how cold I felt. It was prabably about -2C. Dunno how you manage to survive in it.
Mick
Yes, it does get cold but I am one of those people who fly to the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and Utah to ski in the spring because the snow is melting here in March. We usually have snow cover from mid December till late February.