Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   What Type of Saw? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/what-type-saw-20150.html)

SandySpringsPizza 11-22-2013 03:20 AM

What Type of Saw?

I'm getting ready to build the dome and need some input on the type of wet saw to use. Do I really need a paver saw? The firebricks seem pretty pourous. Can I use a saw with smaller amps?

stonecutter 11-22-2013 03:44 AM

Re: What Type of Saw?

If you are buying, look for a 10" 1 1/2hp motor. That would be my recommended starting size. If you aren't going to use it again, rent one.

UtahBeehiver 11-22-2013 05:30 AM

SSP,

A lot of non professional WFO builders went with the cheap Harbor Freight 10" wet saw which run a little over $200. HF has the 20% off coupons all the time. Not the highest quality but does the job and fairly easy to resell when your done.

boerwarrior 11-22-2013 07:01 AM

I second UBee

the problem with renting is that you have to have everything planned and ready to go. I found it virtually impossible to get all brick cuts correctly ahead of time so I ended up cutting as I built. I probably used the saw on about 25-30 different days (I also used it to cut regular brick for my surrounding wall.)

The cheap Harbor Freight saw blade (which u can also get a deal on) lasted me almost the entire build. I bought another one near the end of the project in part so I can sell it with an OK blade!

Good luck!

SandySpringsPizza 11-22-2013 12:09 PM

Thank you all. HF it is.

jeeppiper 11-22-2013 12:33 PM

I didnt use a saw at all... I used a hydraulic brick splitter...worked great! no dust...no noise...minimal effort. I used a hand-grinder when I need to custom-fit the firebrick.

Greenman 11-23-2013 04:43 AM

It is really all about what you can get your hands on at a reasonable price. It took me some time to get all of the cuts as the dome went up so hiring would have cost me a motza. I bought a 14" wet saw for $420, the blade has plenty of life left and I could get more than I paid for it. Seems like the way to go for me. Just have to find the right thing at the right price.

stonecutter 11-23-2013 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver (Post 165802)
SSP,

A lot of non professional WFO builders went with the cheap Harbor Freight 10" wet saw which run a little over $200. HF has the 20% off coupons all the time. Not the highest quality but does the job and fairly easy to resell when your done.

Which one do you mean Russ...there is a 7" 1.5 hp tile saw for 188$ or a 10" 2.5 brick saw for $259. At least that is what's on the website.

I never looked at them in person, I guess for a one off they are good.

Gulf 11-23-2013 05:50 AM

Stonecutter,
It's the 10" saw from Harbor Freight that Russell is referring. Like he said a lot of us went that route. At the moment, the saw is $250, the stand, $50, and the blade is $30. That changes with coupons, weekly sales etc. Many have bought the saw on the intentions of selling it when they are finished with the oven :). Mine has become part of the family :D.

stonecutter 11-23-2013 05:53 AM

You can't beat that price, that's for sure! It's just not the right for me though.