Old 06-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Wetting the Bricks

I agree with tscarborough, they will dry out quick in the sun, I just kept the mortar moist with a spray bottle.

I just pulled my forms and I see a fair amount of gaps where there is not enough mortar on the inside joint, or none in places. Can I repoint those joints or will the heat just pop them out in the curing/cooking process?

Can I use regular mortar for the locking in layer on the outside of the arch or does it need to be refractory? I only have the ingredients for homebrew left.

Thanks,

Derk
Old 06-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can fill them, and can use regular mortar outside, but if you have the stuff to make homebrew I would.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Apprentice

I have the ingredients for the homebrew, I will use it for both the inside and outside. I am going to sieve some playground sand for a little finer mortar for the inside gaps. I have industrial quartz from HD that I can use for the outside mixture.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Journeyman

I hate to disagree with someone who quotes an actual standard, but my experience with Heatstop was that if the firebrick was just moist the joint failed more often than if the brick was soaked. The Heatstop rep I talked with on the phone told me to make sure the brick was wet. He also told me to use cold water. My experience in soaking the brick until the bubbles stopped worked.

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The great thing about standards and specifications is that they allow for wriggle room. Conditions and materials differ, and the bottom line is that what works on the jobsite is what should be used. If you are in the Utah desert at 100 degrees with a wind, what works for me in Austin with 80 degrees and 30% humidity will not work for you, nor will 40 degrees and 100% humidity.

The key concept is that the laid brick should grab quickly and not require more than a moment or 2 to support itself.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:07 AM
Laborer

I used only briefly soaked bricks yesterday - the construction went super fast, I was really happy!
However, within less than an hour these showed up:
pizza 6-26 026 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I had those tiny cracks before, but they would show up after more than a day. Is this a concern?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Those are shrinkage cracks, they will appear where the mortar is thickest and more often when the mortar is wetter, not a real problem.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Laborer

thanks again, you are a real asset to this forum!