Old 12-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Serf

Default Re: Vermiculite:Cement ratio

What type of vermiculite is recommended ( with cenent) for over dome as insulation ?

I gave the larger granular 'A4'

Ed
Old 12-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ed,

A4 I believe is coarse grade used typically for packing. IHMO, it will work fine but you may have to make the cement/verm ratio richer to get good particle adhesion. Best way, try a couple small sample batches, ie 1 cement 5 verm. What are you going to render the insulation with?

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Serf

What do u mean by 'render'?

I will use Portland cement with the vermiculite.

Thinking of a ratio of about 5:1 , V:PC or 6-7:1
Old 12-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Stucco (render) over the vcrete.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 12-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
You can get a good finish on V-Crete anyway by a combination of patting it down and smoothing it over with a steel float. A coat of cement paint and its waterproof. Sometimes we go a bit overkill in our constructions being DIYers.
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 12-06-2013, 03:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The finer grade is a bit easier to work, but requires more water which needs to be removed after it's set. I use a medium grade and have found a 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite makes a more workable mix than either alone, can't explain why. Also a little clay added helps make a more workable mix. I use about half a handful per litre of cement.

Last edited by david s; 12-06-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Apprentice

For the dome I had to increase the water quite a bit to make the vermicrete workable and stop it just crumbling away.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Exclamation Re: Vermiculite:Cement ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
The finer grade is a bit easier to work, but requires more water which needs to be removed after it's set. I use a medium grade and have found a 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite makes a more workable mix than either alone, can't explain why. Also a little clay added helps make a more workable mix. I use about half a handful per litre of cement.
Gudday
Interesting point about adding clay to the mix, anything to make it easier to work with . A lot like fireclay in the "homebrew" mortar ?
I also understand how adding vermiculite would fill up the spaces in-between the spheres of pearlite.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Apprentice

We created an enclosure around the dome, wrapped the dome in a 4" thick layer of fire blanket and filled the enclosure 6" above the dome with vermiculite.

The oven keeps hot until the following afternoon.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

For those working with vermicrete, because it takes so much water there is way more than is required for the hydration process, so I never bother to cover it. The greater problem is trying to remove the water safely. It is easier to allow sun and wind to do much of this if the conditions are right and you can afford the time. See attached experiment.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vermicrete insulating slab copy.doc.zip (73.2 KB, 26 views)