Old 10-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Vent for Gable House

I have seen this product at Home Depot, but only in a 3/4" size which I am afraid would be too heavy. If they do not make a thinner product, I think I will be okay with regular plywood.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlively View Post
Tech shield is OSB (Oriented Strand Board), the random chip looking wood sheeting, with aluminum foil on one side to reflect IR. It is made specifically for roof decking to lower attic temps. I used it to reflect any heat inside away from the decking and as an extra barrier for the wood, since we are not concerned about solar heating.

OSB is about 2 times stronger in shear than plywood. But either will do for a roof.
Did you install a vent or some sort?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:52 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquared View Post
Did you install a vent or some sort?

Not really, though there is a small air gap. From earlier post;

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlively View Post
Was going to put in ridge vent but decided not too. First, I finished curing my oven before I put the roof on. Second I was thinking as a back-up measure to a dome breach that I did not want the capability of alot of air getting in. I cannot forsee how a dome breach would happen much less penetrate the layer of blanket and foil, but the pilot in me always looks for worse case senarios and back-ups. So, I have a small 2 inch x 1/2 inch gap or opening at the intersection of roof and rear gable, under the eave to be out of the elements. Then stuffed with copper wool to kepp out the bugs.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Apprentice

I ended up installing a small (4") round vent in the back of the gable house. I installed it near the top of the peak which is not visible at all. I did it as a "just in case" but probably did not need it.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Master Builder

I bought them and have not installed them.

I burned my oven with the blanket on quite a few times before final close in. I'm thinking if you build the enclosure around the oven before fully cured the vent is a good idea - no sense in keeping all that moisture inside the enclosure. I think I need to drill some holes this weekend.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.