Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   Use a wet saw...10-inch! (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/use-wet-saw-10-inch-4577.html)

SpringJim 07-16-2008 04:00 PM

Use a wet saw...10-inch!

I can't imagine cutting a couple of hundred firebricks in half and then cutting various angles for your dome without a wet saw.....So I strongly recommend that anyone starting one of these projects buy a wet saw and use a (cheap, $30) diamond blade.

The HF saw is just fine for this project and you can get a contiuous or segmented diamond blades for about $30. (amazon, free shiipping!)

I used up two blades building my dome but had some pretty hard recycled bricks to cut. You sure know the blade is shot when you get sparks from the wet saw! and/or it just stops cutting halfway though a cut! I substituted a small blade after trashing the second blade and what a pain...nice to have the 10-inch saw for this work!

The grinder is great for a few cuts or trimming offensive bricks, but it's so dusty doing any dry work. No dust whatsoever with the wet saw!

IMHO
Jim

RTflorida 07-16-2008 05:08 PM

Re: Use a wet saw...10-inch!

I will second that.
For those wondering if they will ever use it again...you will. If you are enough of a DIYer to tackle an oven, you will be doing tile, retaining walls, pavers, sometime in the near future and will need the saw. Even if YOU don't, a friend of neighbor will.....sell it to them or put it on Craigs List. A 10" wet saw is invaluable.

RT

asudavew 07-16-2008 05:12 PM

i USED a 7 inch tile saw.
If I could ONLY do one thing over...
10" HF saw.

FOR SURE>>>

Dave

berryst 07-16-2008 05:53 PM

I used a table saw with a 10"diamond blade. Put a styrofoam cooler over the motor to keep it bone dry and hooked up a hose to keep the blade wet when cutting.

thebadger 07-16-2008 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just my 2 cents for anyone on a tight budget...

I used the HF 10" DRY saw! Cut great but boy did it kick up the dust. I used a respirator and only cut outside on "windy" days.

Worked like a champ...

Only $60 or so.

Dick

SpringJim 07-17-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berryst (Post 37406)
I used a table saw with a 10"diamond blade. Put a styrofoam cooler over the motor to keep it bone dry and hooked up a hose to keep the blade wet when cutting.

Damn, I love innovation!

SpringJim 07-17-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebadger (Post 37414)
Just my 2 cents for anyone on a tight budget...

I used the HF 10" DRY saw! Cut great but boy did it kick up the dust. I used a respirator and only cut outside on "windy" days.

Worked like a champ...

Only $60 or so.

Dick

but I really hate the cement dust.....

thebadger 07-17-2008 07:12 PM

SpringJim
I agree 100% the dust was a pain. But I saved a lot of money :) I was going to sell the saw but I'll keep it in case I have to make any future masonry cuts.

Dick

atdabch 08-04-2008 10:30 AM

I also agree, the wet saw will help with the dust...check the pawn shops early on during the project...you can find a sweet deal somtimes

Raoul Duke 08-05-2008 04:15 PM

The alternative is to soak the bricks in h2o before cutting. I am using an old Makita 10" mitre saw, retired from wood projects, and found wet bricks save the blade, kick up less dust and cut easier. Make sure you blow out the dust from the motor and bearing area. The dust will eventually eat the bearing races.