Old 08-06-2008, 07:39 AM
Master Builder

Default Harbor Freight blades

Do many people soak the bricks before cutting with a diamond blade on a wet saw? I've gone through more cheapo Harbor Freight diamond blades than I care to say, and I'm wondering if wet bricks would help with that. I'm switching to a Husky for my next blade, so I'll see how that goes. If I had known, I would have purchsed a more expensive blade at the start. You get what you pay for, I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Serf

Default Re: Use a wet saw...10-inch!

Curious about the operation of your HF 10" tile/brick wet saw. When cutting, does your saw vibrate quite a bit. Is it the "nature of the beast".

I purchase one this week and cut a few fire bricks. It did a satisfactory job, but seems to have more vibration in the motor/blade assembly than I'm accustom to with other power saws. The extra vibration causes a kerf that is wider than expected from the 10" wet diamond blade and causes a trailing edge corner to break off. I called HF support, and they told me to tighten the belt (trial and error until it smoothed out). I made a couple of adjustments to the belt, but it still vibrates. I'm just wondering if other owners experience smooth operation or vibration.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Master Builder

Mine has been smooth so far, ined.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

db, soaking is necessary (not sure if it helps with blade wear, but because dry firebricks suck the moisture out of your mortar).
I've used my HF/10" wet saw and HF $30 diamond blade for a least 1000 brick cuts in my oven, have since done granite tile, slate, and ceramic tile...all on the original blade. You're not using heavy duty firebricks, are you? They are a bitch to cut and probably cause excessive blade wear.

ined, no vibration issues.....so far

RT
Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ined - is the blade sitting flush on the arbor and washer? Maybe some metal flashing causing a seating problem. Bent blade??? Mine runs pretty true for what it is. Won't cut porclean worth a damn, but did pretty good with the bricks.

In regard to soaking the bricks - I didn't do it. I sprayed them off after the cuts, but that was it.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
You're not using heavy duty firebricks, are you?
The supplier calls them low duty, but the spec sheet says medium duty. 59% silica and 36% Aluminum Oxide, with 20% porosity. That must be why I'm burning through the blades. I just hope I don't burn through my breads and pizzas! I didn't have a choice in bricks, so I'm stuck with what I have. I am soaking them before mortaring; I was just curious if soaking them before cutting would make cutting any easier.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Serf

ined, I've tried both ways, w & w/o H2O, soaking bricks prior to cutting. A definite difference. w/o H2O I've had the blade wobble and I suspect it's from heat built up on the blade that causes it to warp. Cooling the blade also decreases wear on the blade and saw. Try it your self and see what works best for you.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:15 PM

I've had wobble cutting harder materials. I've come to the conclusion that it's the blade getting clogged, and not clearing the mud. With the harder materials I've found that extra water than the pump provides, like a spray from the hose, makes the cuts go cleaner and faster.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Serf

I want to thank all who replied. The consensus seems to be that smooth (no vibration is the norm). I looked at wet tile/brick saws operating on “youtube”, and they appeared to run without vibration. I checked the belt tension as suggested by Harbor Freight technical service, and the belt was tight.

As Les suggested, I did reinstall the blade to make sure it was mounted properly. When I first installed the blade, the 5/8” adapter washer dropped out. I positioned it back on the spindle and thought the blade was centered on it before tightening. It was not. I reinstalled the 5/8” adapter in front of the blade and made sure it was centered and flush with the 7/8” arbor hole. No vibration.

Many, many thanks again.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Journeyman

I've been lurking for a long time, have my foundation done and the pad poured. I've been waiting for something more to show for my work before posting anything but decided I better share this rather than wait longer.

A recent Harbor Freight Ad, titled Rock Bottom Prices at p.2, has the saw on sale for $30 off. The price is only good in stores, not on line, through September 8. Preferred customers should also have received a 15% off coupon by email. Apparently all it takes to be a preferred customer is to buy something from them on line. I tried to post the link to the ad, but since this is my first post, it won't let me. And I suppose I could forward the email to anyone who wants to coupon.

I've learned so much from reading this forum it seems like I know you all. Thanks for the guidance to a long time lurker getting ready to build a stand.

Joe