Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 06:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Twist and Tilt

Paul - Awesome work!! I ditto what Ken said, I don't believe it can get any closer then that unless it's casted.

Continued success....

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Journeyman

Thanks all for your feedback and kind comments. Theyíre much appreciated. A few responses below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtocook View Post
Does your system allow for the thickness of mortar?
Iím limited to a maximum of 2mm mortar thickness (theoretically) so havenít really planned for any mortar gaps. The mortar manufacturer even recommends that the bricks be rubbed or tapped together to achieve as much brick to brick contact as possible when laying them!

But I canít see that mortar thickness would influence things a great deal Ė after all, the bricks will still be sitting at the same angle (more or less) in the dome. I can only suggest that you view it as a guide, and experiment. Even after cutting the bricks, I usually have a bit of minor trimming to do as the bricks are laid, to achieve an accurate fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtocook View Post
And the pic showing the peice of metal for right angel shows a small wedge of wood? in the corner? Is this important and serve a purpose?
The wood shim is there to position the brick (and wedge) in the saw so as to achieve the correct twist or rotation to eliminate the upper Vee Ė see first photo and Step3 above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Wow, that's clever, raising the whole back of the brick to get the angle you need rather than tilting the side.
Thanks - Iíve attempted to replicate the brickís position in the saw with its position in the dome, as far as tilt goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
The only observation is that when you get a few more layers up your 10 inch blade isn't going to be deep enough to cut a brick on it's edge.
My saw diameter is around 14Ē, but even now, Iím having a bit of difficulty holding the brick steady on the left side of the blade, as the Vee-belt guard is fouling my holding hand! I hope to get another one or two more courses using this setup, but Iíve found that itís been a useful method for all courses to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Wow Paul! Fantastic cutting. I nominate your oven for the "Tightest Oven" award!
Thanks Ken, but perhaps we should hold off on nominations until itís finished, as Iím starting to run out of Lesí little pills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynebergman View Post
Might be a good idea to have a photo album out by the oven for all pizza eaters to look at so they can appretiate all the work that has gone in to this oven.
I like that idea, but somehow I think that most punters will be more interested in what comes out of the oven that what went into it! Except for other builders perhaps Ö.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:10 AM
Master Builder

Paul!! Wonderful work and great Jig. Wish you were here when I was cutting all my bricks!!!!

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Paul,,

Thanks Ken, but perhaps we should hold off on nominations until itís finished, as Iím starting to run out of Lesí little pills!

That's funny! I found a pretty good substitute, it comes in a can. The only problem is that it takes 6 or 7 to kick in

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Peasant

Paul,
Nice work.
I'd be interested in seeing the spread sheet for this if possible.
daniel
Old 10-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Serf

[QUOTE=Hendo;17630]Step 1. Iíve set up a spreadsheet to calculate this height, course by course, but itís always good to check on the oven.

If you are willing to share; would you please attach your spreadsheet of course by course angle calculations. It would help the math challenged one day oven builders.

Thanks,
Guerito
Old 10-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

This could be done in Google Docs. I you are happy to share, someone can post a standard on Google Docc, and then publish it for public viewing.

That could be very interesting.
James

Old 10-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Journeyman

I'm more than willing to share the spreadsheet, but not just yet, because:
  1. It's pretty rough and ready - I'd prefer to automate it a bit before release to make it more user-friendly, and
  2. As far as the taper (which influences the top Vee) goes, my results have been pretty consistent at 10mm per side, up to and including the 5th course. I was expecting this figure to increase as the diameter reduced (not that it has much), but I really want to be sure that it is accurate over a few more courses.
Paul.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hendo, what's the latest? Spreadsheet and progress?

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Serf

that is just amazing........exellent job!