Old 07-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Tuscan Grill

As far as flipping a steak inside a WFO why not try a clean pair of fireplace tongs. Seems like it would work and preserve the seared surface.

http://www.thelograck.com/images/bkt.gif

Some slight modification would make it more user friendly. I think I would prefer the scissor tongs and with a little work could be easily made longer.

Scissors Tongs - 20": SpitJack Fireplace Rotisseries and Hearth Cooking Grills

My 44" oven in progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Laborer

cajun knight,
Yes, the 25" scissor clamps look just right for the job. The 20" may be too short. Always appreciate everyone responding to my inquiries with some great ideas.
Thanks,
Jim Bob
P.S. I was going to fire the oven up this afternoon but it was 104 degrees and in Memphis humidity, that is HOT!! Too hot to start another fire. Fall will be here shortly and I will be ready to cook!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Apprentice

Talking Re: Tuscan Grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
...some devious left handed person designed it.
<offtopic>
I am a devious left-handed person. Bwahahahaaaa!
</offtopic>
Old 08-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Journeyman

Question on the Tuscan Grill from FB.

Any issues with using a small pan 10x10 to hold charcoal brickets under the grill in the landing area. I would also add some wet wood chips as well.

Basically I want to know is it okay to use charcoal in a wfo? I was thinking I may not want to mess with a "wood" burn during the week and thought of using a small pan with the charcoal. Any issues??? Than pan would also help keep the front landing clean since it doesn't get as hot to burn off.

Let me know.

Thanks
Dick
Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Dick,

I can't think of a reason why you couldn't use the front of your oven to hold a pan of charcoal. You wouldn't want to "burn"charcoal to heat your oven, but using the landing to hold charcoal for direct heat under a grill makes sense.

Charcoal puts out a reasonable flame when it is starting, but I don't think that would cause a problem for your dome. How would you start it? A tunnel? Wax firelighters? Not lighter fluid -- which would leave a smell in your oven.

Can anyone jump in on this one?

I will get it a try.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is the ONLY way to start charcoal. It works a treat!

Amazon.com: Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Check your local home and garden stores.

Updated!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Serf

Jim,
Go to Wal-mart and look in lawn and garden and find a meat hook. It will have a half circle hook bent perpendicular to the shaft. Then go to a hardware store or a farm supply store and make a long handled version using high carbon steel. You can put a bend in the handle to make turning meat easier.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:22 AM
Laborer

Michael,
Thanks for the tip. and I also like the idea of using charcoal in a pan in the entryway to cook meat on the Tuscan Grill. If i did that I would suggest using nothing but lump charcoal. It burns much hotter and a great deal cleaner, leaving only a small amount of dust residue in the pan. I have used those charcoal baskets to start the charcoal for years. However, with the addition of my brick oven have change to the hand held propane starter It does the trick on my starter wood piles and works great on lump charcoal. However, this charcoal method in the entryway is primarily for short hot cooks. If I was cooking larger pieces of meat, I would push the grill back in the oven and just use the wood coals for heat.
Jim Bob
Old 08-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Apprentice

Paper towel soaked in vegetable oil is one way to start charcoal.