Old 12-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Serf

Default Re: Tired of brushing and cleaning the oven floor?

I'm new to the site, havn't built a WFO yet. I am in the planning stages right now and the brick floor issue seems intruiging. I read elsewhere that a commercial builder in NH uses soap stone for a cooking surface/floor. If you used the tiles instead of brick, how would you do it? Jay
Old 12-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I find a length of 12mm copper pipe is easier to clean the floor rather than a brush. Had a pizza stone in my oven once, but cracked it in half when I built a fire on top of it. Probably should have placed it in after getting the oven up to temp.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Tired of brushing and cleaning the oven floor?

Jay,
Welcome to the group first of all.
Get in and read your heart out with conflicting ideas and concepts when building wood fired ovens.
There are people who will disagree with my belief but there are more and more people going away from the belief that you need to use low or medium firebricks because of therm thermal absortion and durability.
I am probably the one member who, although am not against the argument for them, but economically, fired clay bricks, whether old common reds (as they are referred to here in Adelaide South Australia), or solid clay pavers, are excellent fir the build, both hearth (floor) and dome.
The picture is from a commercially used WFO Pizza restaurant (Russell Jeavons in Willunga SA) who uses free used clay bricks without any problems at all.
The hearth in the picture is 2 layers of 2" clay pavers for exxtra thermal capacity.
Russell also wrote a book on building Wood Fired Ovens and how to use them. It is titled: "Your Brick Oven Building it and baking in it",
ISBN: 1 904943 25 X
You might like to source one or get you library to inter library loan one for you to read.

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Tired of brushing and cleaning the oven floor?-russell-jeavons-pizza-restaurant-south-australia  

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:26 AM
Laborer

Smile Re: Tired of brushing and cleaning the oven floor?

G"day guys i would have to agree with Neill i built my oven to pompeii specs using pressed reds and clay pavers and after 12 + Firings the bricks and pavers
are fine.now that ive told people i made a wfo i was suprised that others fathers and grandfathers had built thier ovens using plain clay bricks,
i say like me no money go clay bricks/got money go fire brick.
the only problem we have like pompeii is no one can tell us the oven is still cooking 2500 years later.
cheers and good luck
Peter
Old 12-08-2008, 05:15 AM
Serf

Morning All,

Gee, wood burns to coals, push coals to side, take copper bristle brush on metal handle, sweep, mop floor once with damp/wet mop on metal handle (not really neceassary, but gets the film of ash off) , and I'm good to go-- maybe- 3 minutes.

oven needs some even-the-heat time anyway.

copper bristle brush was a good investment-- an occasional sweep after several pies keeps the burnt flour/ or cornmeal from building up too.

putting anything on top the floor would lower the cook rate drastically--- when oven floor is too hot i use a screen to keep stromboli's or pans slightly off.

In my 42" pompeii i use a cheap iron grate on the side to keep logs off th coals while cooking-- like the flame and no smolder aspect.

Lovin my Oven

Ben Ciliberto, Doylestown Pa

Oven Pics Link-