Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   Tile saw Needed or not? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/tile-saw-needed-not-19381.html)

Filthymutt 05-16-2013 10:06 PM

Tile saw Needed or not?

I'm seeing a lot of post talking about this HF Tile saw. Seen photos of it too, looks great but here in China where I am I can not find it's like anywhere. The best I can get is a 4" Marble cutter (mini circular saw) with a diamond blade. I've tried it on cinder block and it cuts fine but I am worried about when it comes to cutting my fire bricks that I won't be able to make such precise cuts as it looks like you can with that tile saw.

Do not even suggest please about renting one. This is China and things don't work that way here. There is no rental anything past cars and houses and rental cars are a fairly new thing...

So any ideas how I can cut my fire brick nicely?:confused:

brickie in oz 05-16-2013 10:33 PM

Re: Tile saw Needed or not?

You have to be kidding me, all the tools we buy here now are from China. :eek:

See if you can get hold of one of these its what I bought for bricklaying and its a beast, all made in China.
$Au700 here, Im sure you can get a better price over there.

http://i.ebayimg.com/10/!Bn(EpSgBGk~...iy(nqw~~_1.JPG

Filthymutt 05-17-2013 12:47 AM

Better price? Ha ha I can't find it here at any price.
I've been living here for 15 years and every year I take a big empty suitcase 'home' to the States with me just to fill it with a whole bunch of Made-in-China stuff to bring back here to its place of origin only because its not available here.

Made in China, Export only. Often if you can get the item here it's a knock off or defective factory second.

Frustrating!

brickie in oz 05-17-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filthymutt (Post 152807)
every year I take a big empty suitcase 'home' to the States with me just to fill it with a whole bunch of Made-in-China stuff to bring back here to its place of origin only because its not available here.

Sounds like a business opening to me, like selling sand to the Arabs. :)

Filthymutt 05-17-2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickie in oz (Post 152809)
Sounds like a business opening to me, like selling sand to the Arabs. :)

Ice cubes to Eskimos yeah you might be right. I've gone as far as asking sellers in the US if I could order something from them but have it shipped to me direct from the factory here but the answer was always no.:mad:

Bob

Bacterium 05-17-2013 03:04 AM

Bob,
Gee never new it was like that in China.....just thought it was become the land of everything.......... original and knock off...

I had to compensate for my lack of bricklaying skills and got one of these :D
http://www.btengpl.com/products.html#Brick

ELECTRIC B.T. BRICKSAW

its a monster too and scares the neighbors kids away...didn't make me a brickie :rolleyes:

Greenman 05-17-2013 03:46 AM

I found a BT Bricksaw without the stand second hand for a good price. Like you say, it is a beast and did a good job for me. Strange but it didn't make me a brick layer either but it did make the build easier.

Cheers ....... Steve :)

Filthymutt 05-17-2013 06:25 AM

I'm going to keep looking. But having been to the masonry places, the tile places and the biggest tool places already I'm not expecting much.

I can't even order from overseas as the cost of shipping would likely double the cost and the import duty would add still another 40% so it's not an option.

No, every thing might be made here but everything also gets exported.

david s 05-17-2013 12:15 PM

You can build it without a saw. Simply cut the bricks in half with a brick bolster (like a really wide cold chisel) two blows with a hammer and you'd done. No brick dust. The rough end goes to the outside. You use more mortar, but if using the home brew it's really cheap. You can also do a lot with an angle grinder fitted with a diamond blade.

Plenty of people have built ovens without a saw.

cobblerdave 05-17-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david s (Post 152855)
You can build it without a saw. Simply cut the bricks in half with a brick bolster (like a really wide cold chisel) two blows with a hammer and you'd done. No brick dust. The rough end goes to the outside. You use more mortar, but if using the home brew it's really cheap. You can also do a lot with an angle grinder fitted with a diamond blade.

Plenty of people have built ovens without a saw.

Gudday
It's very doable.... But as Dave's said the angle grinder/ diamond saw is usefull for some of those cuts particularly around the arch transition and at the top of the dome

Regards dave