Old 09-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Tile saw (brick saw)

I'd go with the sand between the floor layers and not worry about if the sand is going to insulate. You need to get the working floor level. I don't think that the amount of sand that you'll need to level will isolate the heat to a great degree, any more or less than anything else. Once you get the rest of the oven built, insulate to retain the heat in all of that thermal mass, and you should be very happy.

Chris
Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Apprentice

By sand, do you mean sand and fireclay? I think if just sand works, why not? As long as it doesn't slide out - someone on here said they'd just "caulk" around the floor to keep it all in place while building....

Thanks!
c
Old 09-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I thought about the fireclay / sand mix and thought that, over time, whatever you put between the floors will migrate down into whatever void is found. I also thought about the fireclay mixture and thought it might be tougher to level than sand. If you try to use a wet mixture, I think you'll fight to get your level before it drys. The key, in my mind, is to do your very best to get those voids filled before putting the second floor in. I'd still use the cardboard to set a gap between the wall and floor. The thought here is that if you're soldiers are not on top of the floor then there is a bit of expansion independence there. Remember, I'm just making my best guess here and from everything I can glean from the forum, these ovens are infinitely forgiving.

Chris
Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Apprentice

I'm planning on building the dome on top of the floor...although in my mind's eye, it seems like I'd get more space building around the floor. AAAARG! I want to post pictures

My insulated hearth is nice and level...the old bricks are kinda bumpy here and there, rounded corners, old chuncky mortar. SO I should lay sand down and tap those into place, fill any gaps with more sand, then lay down the new bricks for the oven floor?

I was thinking that I would make a round template, as large as I can get, still allowing for the walls, insulation, etc, and allowing for the opening and vent .... setting it on top of the floor and going around it with the soldiers.
How many inches should be allowed for the actual vent - not the opening of the door, but from the oven wall to the outer edeges of the hearth? The length of a brick? Or do I need to know exactly how big of a vent pipe or chimney pipe first?

These are all the things muddling my mind and keeping me from going on to the next step!

Cecelia
Old 09-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cecelia,
If the bricks are too lumpy grind them or toss them to get the floor them close to flat, then level for the second floor. Between you and I, I'd just put a single, flat, floor and be done with it!

Chris
Old 09-01-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
By sand, do you mean sand and fireclay? I think if just sand works, why not? As long as it doesn't slide out - someone on here said they'd just "caulk" around the floor to keep it all in place while building....
I once knew a man who rented rooms in a large apartment to singles. It was his policy to rent to half men and half women. He said the women keep the men from being rowdy, and the men kept the women from being filthy.

Back to topic. The sand keeps the fireclay from cracking, and the fireclay keeps the sand from shifting.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Apprentice

ha ha! Got it!
Thanks
c