Old 08-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Tile saw (brick saw)

Harbor Freight also has this little manual brick cutter for 20.00 - what about that anyone? Or is that just asking for trouble?
My neighbor says he has a grinder, that if you use a diamond blade, will work for cutting the bricks. What do you think?

I also have questions on the hearth - I have already gone on and on about it...sorry!
I want to have the extra layer of firebrick for extra thermal mass - the thing is that I got all my bricks used, and I bought enough new ones just for the oven floor so it'll be nice and smooth. I thought about standing them on their sides, but then I'd have to buy more new ones, so why not just use the old ones for the bottom layer of the floor? And the dome will be built out of the old ones, too.
The question is this: The fireclay/sand mixture: can there be some between the two layers of brick? And some between the bottom layer of brick and inulated hearth? Does there HAVE to be fireclay between the insulated hearth and firebrick at all?

Thanks,
Cecelia
Old 08-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey cecil,
I have the HF brick cutter and used it to cut most of my dome bricks in half.... One good clean shot with the hammer cuts it good.. Also used a 4" grinder.. You can definitely do the whole build with those 2 tools.. get a diamond blade for the grinder and soak the bricks before you cut them to keep the dust down. I also used the HF 15 inch chop saw with a diamond blade, It helps too have the extra stuff, but its not necessary..
Most important thing is to not rush...
Happy Building
Mark
Old 08-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Thermal mass: I'm not exactly sure why you want it, but the sand/fireclay is just for leveling. If your two layers of brick fit together nicely, you don't need it. Likewise, if your insulation is dead flat, you may not need any at all: I didn't use any.

Using the wide chisel, called the brick set, is an art. It's as easy to reduce a brick to a pile of shards as it is to cut it cleanly. I think the cutting jig that HF sells makes the brick set work more systematic, but it's still a lot of work. You want to spend all day swinging the mini sledge? Better you than me.

Your angle grinder with a diamond blade is a valuable tool, it does things that the wet saw can't reach, but with all forms of dry cutting protect your lungs! Silica dust is bad stuff.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Apprentice

Thermal Mass? I bake lots of bread...and sell it.

Like I said in my post, I have enough new brick for the floor, and the old fire brick would go under that , since it's not as smooth. I'm glad to hear that, if the hearth is flat and smooth enough, and the bricks sit together, I don't need the fireclay at all.

I figured chiseling the bricks must be an art - I think masonry is an art - Hmmmm.

Ok, well, thanks for your advice!

Cecelia
Old 08-31-2009, 07:56 AM
Apprentice

Back to the laying of two layers of brick for the floor for extra thermal mass -
Can there be the fireclay/sand mixture between the two layers of brick for leveling?
Or will that interupt the heat for the extra thermal mass? In my mind it doesn't seem like it would but maybe there is some reason I shouldn't do it?

Thanks,
cecelia
Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think you'd be fine with that, but I have no experience here, I'm still building my own. I have my bricks with the 4.5 by 9 inch base up, most builders do. Have you thought about running your bricks in the floor on with the 2.25 by 9 inch face edge up?

Chris
Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Apprentice

Yes, I even laid them out just to see but I'd have to buy more brick and I already have so much used brick. And the thing is, laying them on their side like that will make them just about the same as putting two bricks together.

Anyway, I was trying to avoid buying more brick!

How about using the fireclay between the two layers? Or maybe someone can answer this question - with the normal single layer of bricks - no extra thermal mass - how long will the oven stay at about 450 dgrees?

I have absolutely NO experience with any of this, in case you haven't noticed - basically I do all those domestic type things in the house and try to leave the "guy" work to the guys - but you know, sometimes when you want something bad enough, you just have to do it yourself! I have a large family and so I spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking (I can't claim the laundry because thankfully, at the moment, I have one kid in between school and ...wherever her interests lead her...which is in the laundry...heh heh heh)

So I appreciate everyones advice!

Cecelia
Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The insulation plays as big or bigger a roll as the thermal mass in any oven. I'm not a bread baker so I will stop there. I do a lot of roasting, but am not concerned with maintaining a specific temp for a specific time frame.
As for the fireclay between the brick layers, you probably won't need much if you level the first layer properly. I would run the pattern of the top layer of bricks perpendicular to the first layer, seems like it would help with stability and leveling (at least in my feable mind).

RT
Old 08-31-2009, 10:53 AM

Mass is mass. I think anything inside the insulation envelope will heat up and hold heat, and you don't really need to worry about the thermal convection between layers of mass.

I wouldn't use any more of the fireclay mixture than you need to get a level surface.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Apprentice

Well, with the bottom layer of brick (the old ones) I have them laid out staggered - you know, like a brick wall flat on the ground. Then I will do the herringbone pattern on top of that. The old bricks are bumpy and not near as perfect as the new brick, so there would be small gaps and stuff, but level as a whole. My insulated hearth is nice and level...and in some places six inches thick!!!