Old 05-17-2008, 04:20 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Thermocouple design for oven

I went the cheap route because I wasn't sure whether I would use them or not. I fed the Type-K wires through stainless steel tubing through the hearth slabs and concrete cladding. Drilled halfway into a dome and hearth brick, twisted the bare ends together, and inserted into the bricks. For readouts I have analog resistance meters with scales in celsius and Fahrenheit. I find them to be reassuring when baking for longer time periods... bread, roast, turkey, etc.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Peasant

Learned a lot about thermocouples and IR/laser thermometers...but what about the analog/dial thermometers I've seen in some of the pictures posted? Are they useful? I did a quick google and found some oven thermometers that go up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit. Are there others out there with higher range?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:16 AM
Apprentice

The ones I have were made by Triplett and go up to 1500 F. Looking at their website it doesn't look like they make them anymore.

I found mine at second hand electronics store and if you Google "Triplett Analog Panel Meter" or simply "Analog Panel Meter" you'll get quite a few hits. I'd suggest making some kind of enclosure as they are not the most elegant looking devices.

I'm in the process now of enclosing mine in red oak and all you'll be able to see is the needle and the temperature scale.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Peasant

Mojoe:

Looking on google it looks like the Analog panel meter you talk about is readout for thermocouple. I was hoping to find out more about the thermometers that I've seen sitting inside the oven...any that read over 600F and their pros and cons...
Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Serf

Can you bend the probe or does it need to be straight?