Old 03-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Supporting overhanging concrete

Sorry for the off topic but since you brought up 3/8" rebar, how is it that the 20' length of 3/8" rebar is cheaper than the 10' length at Home Depot? For this reason I've been buying lots of 20' lengths and bending them in half by hand so I can carry them in my vehicle.
I'm considering using only 3/8" rebars on my oven build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 03-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yep, that's how I built my stand and hearth. Pipe-bent 20' 1/2" rebar in the HD parking lot, threw it on top of the car, angle-grinded and bent it as needed at home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Master Builder

But in the case of 3/8" rebars, 20' lengths cost $2.77 and 10' lengths run $2.97 ea. That's what I was trying to get at.
Half-inch rebars, OTOH, are priced accordingly, 20' lengths more expensive than 10' lengths.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 03-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Master Builder

Keith if you are carrying it on top of your car it would indicate that you have some sort of roof rack. If so, the way I carry 20 ft lengths is to tie a 20 ft 2x4 on my lumber rack at home before I go to the yard. I buy and then tie the 20 ft lengths to the 2x4. Often I simply use many wraps of duct tape if there is only a few pieces of rebar. The 2x4 keeps the rebar from flopping about and makes tie down easy.

As for bending I cheat and use the blade on the excavator. Simply clamp the rebar between a 2x12 and the blade and then slide a pipe section up the unclamped piece. This makes for easy precisely located bends of fairly close radius. Note: FYI there is a minimum radius for bends in rebar (code thing, for inspected construction).

fxpose, I haven't a clue as to how or why they price the way they do at HD. I try to buy as much of stuff like wood at either of two local construction lumber yards (one 15 minutes the other 20 minutes away, close off island). Nails, tools and fasteners etc. are much cheaper at HD but the other stuff including rebar are less expensive at a construction type lumber yard. The lumber sold at HD sucks!

Bests,
Wiley
Old 03-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

20' is simply too long to be hanging off the front and back of a Forester. I fold it once in the parking lot, take it home on the roof rack, do the rest of the cutting and folder at home.

WFO Webpage:

Thread: