Old 08-23-2009, 04:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Stucco

I got mine at Lowe's $16.26 @ 50 lb. bag. I think I used 6 bags, But I put 2 coats on the entire oven and block walls as I liked the way it looked. I dont think you need a fiber mesh as this is made full of ceramic fibers. Go to QUIKRETE® - Cement and Concrete Products and search for Surface Bonding Cement. or you can call thier Help Line at 1-800-282-5828, I did and they were very nice and Helpful as well....

Good luck
Mark
Old 08-23-2009, 04:31 AM
Apprentice

Mark,
That is the route we are going to take. Sounds easy and when you think about it, we really don't have a large area to stucco.
We are going to do the top stucco and the bottom over the block in thin stone. I really appreciate the information.
Guy
Old 08-23-2009, 04:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Guy,
One thing i forgot to mention,, they recommend using a mixer for this product, I have one I bought from Harbor Freight on sale at 119.99 i think. If you dont have one just call them and check to make sure its ok to mix by hand.

And as far as applying it, If you can put icing on a cake,,, You can do this, If you were close by I would be happy to lend you my mixer,,
Mark
Old 08-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Apprentice

Mark,
I appreciate the offer about the mixer. Worse comes to worse we can rent one from the rental house for $40.00 a day. I know it is a 2 step process but so be it. I will see about the hand mixing. I have to believe that if you measure out your water and are pretty consistant there should be no problem mixing by hand. Mixed all our HeatStop and mortar by hand and got consistant mixtures. Fired up the oven to 400 degress today. We have let it sit for several weeks now. In part because we were away for a week on business. We starte dwith several paper fires and got it up to 100 degrees and each day have increased it by 100 degrees. We are getting a great draft and boy that floor stays hot for a long time. We checked the top of the dome on the outside eith the IR thermometer and the hottest it has gotten with 400 degrees on the inside was 108 degrees. Tomorrow we are going to run some electric, close up the walls and put the roof on. If the weather stays good we plan on having our first pizza this Sunday. Will post some pictures tomorrow.
Thanks again Mark,
Guy
Old 08-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Peasant

I personally did not use a mixer for the surface bond. Just hand mixed. It seemed to me that if I mixed up a batch large enough to merit a mixer, I wouldn't have been able to parge it all quickly enough without having to refresh the mix with water. It didn't seem to have a very long board time before setting up and becoming hard to work with as compared to mortars. I found that a half bag at a time worked nicely and wasn't too much work to mix.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Peasant

i forgot to mention that even if a store carries Quikrete products, that doesn't mean they carry the entire product line. No Lowe's near me carried the surface cement and only one Home Depot did. Both stores carry Quikrete in my neck if the woods. Not one employee in any of those stores knew what surface bonding cement was, so due diligence would be in order when shopping there. I had to find it myself. Don't get discouraged if one HD doesn't have it. Another one near you probably will. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mr G,

You also asked about fiberglass mesh over the seams. If you are talking about the seams between sheets of hardibacker or cement board, YES. You definitely want to embed the mesh tape over the seams. The back of my enclosure has developed 2 hairline cracks right over the seams of my hardiebacker. Not a big deal, I'll paint over them, but I've learned my lesson.

On my outdoor kitchen project, I used some thinset mortar to embed the tape over all my hardiebacker joints. When the stucco guys arrived and saw my work, they said I did exactly the right thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Stucco-13714d1250816666-my-old-kentucky-dome-enclosure  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:25 AM
Peasant

I forgot to address the seam question, also. I second the fiber mesh tape over the joints. Cheap insurance with very little time or money investment. I used it between joints and no cracks at all for five years now.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Apprentice

Cuda,
I will be on the phone today trying to find it. We will mix up enough to easily handle before setup. We mist the surface before we apply any cement product so the substrate does'nt absorb the water too fast.
Thank you for the info,
G
Old 08-24-2009, 07:33 AM
Apprentice

Ken,
We did plan on using the mesh. Great idea about using thinset mortar. What color colorant did you use for your stucco. I call it a Tuscan yellow which we want to use.
Thanks for the advice,
Guy