Old 07-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Steel pipe vs. rebar-concrete-filled-PVC for a column

Get two pieces of PVC pipe. Drop the first one over the pipe. Cut a split in the second one - or maybe even a section out - and drop it over the first one. Should give yo a fine shim to fit perfectly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Laborer

1/16 wall tubing is to weak for this application
you need to go with 3/16 wall pipe
think about what you could lose if the whole thing comes crashing down
better to spend the 100$ on the proper material

mike
Old 07-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster View Post
1/16 wall tubing is to weak for this application
you need to go with 3/16 wall pipe
think about what you could lose if the whole thing comes crashing down
better to spend the 100$ on the proper material

mike
Well, I agree with you. I never had any illusions that 1/16" fence pipe would offer much strength. That's why I was going to drop rebar in it and fill it with concrete. I can fit two pieces of 1" rebar inside the 2-3/8" pipe (I have access to some 1" rebar, pretty insane stuff).

But, I can also splurge for a steel pipe too, I'm talking to guy I found on Craigslist who has a reasonable deal . I just didn't want there to be any confusion on this. I didn't mean to suggest that I thought the thin-walled stuff would actually hold it up empty on it's own.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 07-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It wont, but full of concrete it will, and you do not want rebar in it, especially #8.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Not to belabor a discussion that is probably not worth the trouble, but I'm curious why one would specifically avoid adding rebar to increase the rigidity of a concrete pole. I haven't seen a reason *why* that would be the correct approach. I'm just curious, I like the understand the reason behind things.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 07-17-2012, 04:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Because it is just reducing the cross section of the concrete and serves no purpose. With a thin wall pipe for tensile strength and concrete for compressive you are good. Think of it as the pipe being the rebar.