Old 12-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Steam Injection

Hi All,

Hmmmm, interesting comments. I'm learning from them.

Here's my latest effort to bake no-knead bread. (First attempts were only so-so even though I was following instructions from the book). I didn't think messing with bread in a hot Dutch oven, in our kitchen stove, would be any more successful, but then...... my wife came home with an enameled iron Dutch oven. So, I tried it. WOW, artisan bread. It is wonderful and exactly like shown in the You Tube videos. Author and cook Mark Bittman and Bakery owner Jim Lahey show how to make no-knead bread and bake it in a hot Dutch oven. YouTube - Making No-Knead Bread The idea might work for a single loaf in a wfo without having to mop or spray water, so that's why I mention it. Watch a second video by Bittman too.

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Steam Injection

Alton Brown had an episode where he did the same no kneed with a dutch oven - and a 19+ hour rise. Worked beautifully for me.

Tonights sourdough with home ground whole wheat did not rise enough - lack of gluten and the whole wheat cutting the bubbles. Flavor was great and the crumb was good as well - just not the big air bubbles.

Started the sponge for tomorrows - 8 loaves with regular bread flour - for the family New Years Party.

I also ordered Peter's Artisinal Breads book - $18 incl shipping via ebay.

Happy new Years to all

Follow my build