Old 04-07-2008, 01:41 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Sorry. I'm thick:please donate to Ludite Foundation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
That mongrel flamin' dog has hijacked this thread, dead set.

<Snip>
Jeffo the Reffo! I think that mongrel dog should enrol in FB under his/her own name, or perhaps "Paws for thought"... (You see, your ruddy luddite athwartness is rubbing off on me, already...)

Needless to say, I - having lived in Oz, including Kuranda and such, for near on 40 years - completely understand you!

Leap up the good work (sorry, our new mutant henster Sophie is traipsing across the keyboard now...)

Cheers mate, you'll yet master the comms, seeing you've mastered the double entendre :-)

Luiz a.k.a. carioca
Old 04-07-2008, 02:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

ha, from what I can see Jeff must have been born with a full set of entenders!!
Old 04-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Frances,

This has nothing to do with the Jeffodictionary. Anybody thinking about a gentle fork mixer might want to have a look here: SANTOS - 10 liters dough mixer - kneader - n18 for restaurants, pizzerias, pastry shops, institutions.... This mixer is made in France and would be a good size for Forum members, though somebody would have to teach the Luddite how to turn it on.

I hasten to add, however, that my mentor, William Blake, had pronouced Luddite leanings, though I don't think he ever destroyed a power loom.

Jim

Last edited by CanuckJim; 04-07-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 04-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

CJ,
any idea how much the mixer costs? Looks cool! Any preference over the other mixer recently reviewed here ( I've completely forgotten the name - Electrolux?)

-
Old 04-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
CJ,
any idea how much the mixer costs? Looks cool! Any preference over the other mixer recently reviewed here ( I've completely forgotten the name - Electrolux?)
Santos Dough Mixer Kneader - 10 Quarts, Dough Equipment

Looks like 1400 bucks or so....

When you buy yours George.. please grab one for me too.

I appreciate it!

Dwats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 04-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jeff, no apologies needed. I can certainly relate to your mongrel mutt issues; I've got a 16 yr old (yes, he is on his last days) - going deaf, blind in one eye, and has arthitis; the little bastard (love him to death) has really become a stubborn, cranky old fart recently, pretty much does as he damn well pleases (knows he can get away with anything because we feel sorry for him). Does not tolerate being fussed with and only accepts attention when HE feels like it, but still loves to eat anything and stick his nose in everything. Has never taken to the computer, wouldn't surprise me if he decided to chew through one of its cables - just to piss me off. Don't even mention painting projects...he has "helped" with every one I've done in 16 yrs.

RT
Old 04-08-2008, 05:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

George,

Dave's right on, about fourteen hundred, depending on the importer or source. The advantage of a fork mixer, as opposed to an orbital KA or a spiral, is the gentle action of the fork. It pretty well eliminates the friction factor that can overheat dough if you aren't careful. It therefore allows longer mix times and greater gluten development.

Knowing what I know now, I'd have bought a fork mixer rather than a spiral years ago. Still, I'm very comfortable with mine, and it works like a horse.

Jim
Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My current dog (basenji) has chewed through the recharge cord (DC side fotunately) of my electric recumbent cycle three times. Each time it was when I'd been neglecting to take him for a walk. This breed is reknowned for this kind of retribution.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

George and all,

While doing a bit of research today for my workshops, I visited this site: ThermoWorks.com – Temperature experts. Home of the famous Thermapen See us for digital, infrared, logging, and any other type of measurement need.. They're the US distributor for the Super-Fast Thermapen digital temperature probe I use to determine dough temp, ingredients temps, finished bread temps, etc. and recommend to my students. The UK manufacturer is: ETI Ltd - Thermometer Manufacturer.

There's are many temp related products, interesting links and even free Fahrenheit/Cesius/Kelvin conversion software on the Thermoworks site.

Have a look. Jeff can safely ignore this one; too tech. More savvy Aussies can follow this local link: ETI Ltd - Distributors - Australia . XJ can go here: ETI Ltd - Distributors - Spain. Sorry, Frances, nothing for Switzerland, but go to the ETI site for European distributors.

Jim

Last edited by CanuckJim; 04-09-2008 at 10:07 AM. Reason: More info
Old 04-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jim,
Once again great information! I was aware of the more gentle mixing of a fork mixer. $1400 bucks is a lot of dough - pardon the pun. My wife would have me committed!

re: the dital probe - I'm currently using a guage type (the arrow on a round faced dial) that I like because its small and quick. I do have one of the oven probes/timers similar to the one on the Thermoworks website, but I only use that thing for roasts etc. The probe's cable is a pain in the butt. I've yet to get a good reading off my infrared thermometer's probe. I'm doing something wrong with that thing. The instructions are put away, and the only time I think about it is when I'm pulling bread out of the oven and I see the laser themometer staring at me sadly as I use the analog probe.

-