Old 05-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Serf

Default Re: Setting the cooking floor

Understand. I will work to keep my board insulation as intact as possible and build everything upon it. I can still build a 1 meter diameter stove. That brings me to the outer edge of my 48" board width. One case covers 24 square feet, conveniently just the right amount for my stove.

I've decided to build the dome ON TOP OF the oven floor. I will lay my floor directly onto the board and go from there.

Thanks for the input.

Greg in RI
Old 06-06-2010, 03:51 AM
Serf

it is advisable to seperate the dome from the hearth leaving an expansion joist between the two which can be filled with a strip of heatresistant rockwool.
the floor also should be laid loose to allow movement. and the chimney part should have an expansion joist towards the dome as well.

if you spend a lot of money for your materials you better do it once and right.
hope that helped
Old 06-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Apprentice

I put my soldiers on the insulation so that I could remove the hearth brick with ease if it ever came to that point. I really don't anticipate that I will ever do this unless the brick somehow disintegrates.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

In short, there is no right way. Both work equally as well. The slight practical differences are:

Wall on floor: Not as much fine cutting required to get a perfectly round floor. The bricks can extend a bit under the wall.

Wall next to floor: Entire floor can be removed somewhat easier in the un-likely event this is required. (On this site, I am aware of only one poster who elected to remove part of his floor because of splalling - and his was a "wall on floor" build).