Old 05-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Saw blade question.

Thanks again to everyone. The blade is working like a champ. I might have gone through another 3-4 blades without the help...

SOP is now that bricks are lined up on the patio, they get sprayed at least a couple of times a day and absolutely before & after cutting and before mortaring. And the table saw lets me do a great job on making cuts.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The brick should always be cleaned after cutting, no matter wet or dry cut.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Serf

Thank you this very wonderful and informative thread. Really helped me a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajejeje View Post
Thank you this very wonderful and informative thread. Really helped me a lot.
Thanks, and thanks to everyone who helped out. I'm up to the last 2-3 rows of my dome, angling the bricks with the table saw. I can cut up a row in about an hour or so, with the bricks angled at about 5 degrees inside to outside (horizontally and vertically) and beveled from top to bottom. Five cuts per 9 x 4.5 x 2.5 brick gives me two angled/beveled half bricks. The bevel changes from row to row. They fit together great, and any time I'm losing on cutting (not much) I'm more than gaining in my mortaring.

The original blade is still going strong! I just need to soak the bricks before cutting.

The scary thing is that I have to cut without the guard in place. The good thing is that the diamond blade is abrasive, so it's not the whirling steel blade of dismemberment that you'd normally have on a table saw. Every cut I make, I'm wearing leather gloves. I think I'd have to work hard to hurt myself.

Still, standard table saw protocols apply! Most cuts are using a wood block or jig to push the brick through, even if it's steadied with my hand. And NO BEER until all the cuts are done and the table saw unplugged!

Attached pic is about two rows ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Saw blade question.-imgp5718.jpg  

Last edited by Cheesehead; 06-08-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Serf

Brand new to the forum, but I do a lot of tile work. An easy way to rejuvenate a diamond blade is to run a brick paver (driveway/patio tupe) through it. Slice a couple 1/4" slices off the paver. Pavers are pretty inexpensive and readily available.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Most cuts are using a wood block or jig to push the brick through, even if it's steadied with my hand. And NO BEER until all the cuts are done and the table saw unplugged!
'head,

I do it just the opposite. Since I cut with a non-segmented, continuous rim blade, I don't start until the saw is plugged in and I've had a beer.

Nice-lookin' dome, by the way.

John