Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Saftey Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrorrt View Post
The main issue is from a component of the blanket which the ceramic fibers are made of, mainly silica, which can cause silicosis, a type of restrictive lung condition. Any level of silica exposure can result in silicosis. There are three types of silicosis: acute, accelerated, and chronic.

Acute silicosis forms a few weeks or months after high levels of silica exposure. This condition progresses rapidly.

Accelerated silicosis comes on five to ten years after exposure.

Chronic silicosis occurs ten years or longer after silica exposure. Even low exposure levels can cause chronic silicosis.

Silica dust particles act as tiny blades on the lungs. When silica is inhaled through the nose or mouth, particles create small cuts that can scar the lung tissue. Scarred lungs do not open and close as well, making breathing difficult.
AT A MINIMUM WEAR AN N95 MASK, BEST IS TO WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!
Thanks Jeff,
The new generation of ceramic blanket is bio soluble and has been exonerated as a potential carcinogen and is considered safe. Check the MSDS on the product before purchase to get the good stuff. It is more expensive and the only type allowed for sale in Germany.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Serf

I would like to add from experience the use of gloves or hand cream to prevent skin drying out and cracking. After finishing my Pizza Oven my hands were like bricks and fingers with large cracks in the skin. They are O/K now. Could have been prevented by following the advice to use gloves or cream no matter how tough ones hands are.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Serf

I would have to agree, as the fibres are small and could, by the oven cracking, filter into the cooking dome and in time cause health problems.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Peasant

Both ceramic fiber and soluble fiber contain silica, which if heated to elevated temperatures (i believe above 1700 degrees F) form crystalline silica. Crystalline silica is what causes silicosis. You are exposed to crystalline silica every time you cut a hard brick, pour concrete, or even walk on the beach.

There has never been a documented case of disease or death caused by ceramic fiber. Ceramic fiber dissolves in the body after about 7 mos. Bio-soluble fibers are designed dissolve in about 2 weeks. Asbestos never dissolves.

The major manufacturers (Fiberfrax, Kaowool)are very careful in making sure that there are no problems or impurities associated with their products. I am concerned about the imported Chinese blankets and boards. These companies dont follow the safety precautions. There is a reason the blankets sold by these importers cost less! Who actually manufactures the cheap blanket sold by McGills? Where does Forno Bravo get their blanket?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Serf

The problem I encountered was after purchasing the carton containing the ceramic blanket. Upon arriving home I read the instructions on the outside of the carton and it stated clearing their could be health issues in using the blanket. As our family have experienced cancer. I took the C/blanket back and purchased vermiculite instead.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:34 AM
Master Builder

Hi Bravo,
What was the problem with the ceramic blanket that you encountered? A warning label is not a problem. Warming label are sometime required by law or a smart lawyer for companies and individuals to protect themselves. There are multitude forms for cancer and I would bet if you follow the proper precautions you wouldn`t be in any more danger as inhaling dust from the vermiculite and concrete.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 AM
Master Builder

Hey Bravo,

I agree with Laurentius. The disclaimers on everything verge on the ridiculous. It is just arse covering by the manufacturers driven by the litigious society that is smothering us.

Danger lurks everywhere if you care to search for the Materials Data Sheets on everything you use. A pair of disposable overalls, a mask to filter what you are breathing, gloves, eye protection and a bit of common sense in handling this material will leave you as safe as you can be. It is also superior insulation per inch of thickness.

I hope you get it all going and achieve the results from your oven that you set out to get.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 09-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Every product should have an MSDS (materials safety data sheet). It is worth asking for it on purchase or look it up on line. It will tell you which type of ceramic fibre blanket it is.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can't be too careful! I actually used this substance as an additive to both my concrete and mortar on my oven build .

I am currently registered with DMHO.org. I get immediate updates and possilble solutions to the remediation of the problem .

Last edited by Gulf; 09-05-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpar View Post
Both ceramic fiber and soluble fiber contain silica, which if heated to elevated temperatures (i believe above 1700 degrees F) form crystalline silica. Crystalline silica is what causes silicosis. You are exposed to crystalline silica every time you cut a hard brick, pour concrete, or even walk on the beach.
Your blanket will never see temps like this in your WFO.