Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 06:00 AM
Serf

Default Re: Saftey Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Also, dont forget to check for spammers before use.
WTH! What spam?
I just mentioned about the safety measures for industrial equipments.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
"And if it kills you, it did the world good."
A rather extreme view in my opinion, but if you feel that your demise might be better for the world, then by all means...........................have at it.

Last edited by Polo; 09-03-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
A rather extreme view in my opinion, but if you feel that your demise might be better for the world, then by all means...........................have at it.
I was thinking along the lines of the Darwin Awards, it had to do with the idiom.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
I was thinking along the lines of the Darwin Awards, it had to do with the idiom.
I'm sure you could see how your post could have been taken other than the way you meant it. You should try to express yourself a bit better.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I'm sure you could see how your post could have been taken other than the way you meant it. You should try to express yourself a bit better.
Thanks for the advice, Polo.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke22 View Post
WTH! What spam?
I just mentioned about the safety measures for industrial equipments.
It was the link in your sig, which has gone now.

Quote:
Fiberglass Ladders Online
And this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke22 View Post
Hey members.
I have recently ordered a fiberglass Step Ladder for my personal use.
Can you recommend me the safety measures to be taken for this type of ladder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, Polo.
Your quite welcome, Laurentius.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Can't agree, it is the fibres that are the problem and although they are held within the binder, on bending and handling, loose fibres will still become airborne, particularly when cutting the blanket.
There are many different products out there. Some use a fibre that is partly water soluble and are therefore safer if inhaled. Look carefully at the data sheets on health or toxicology. Some ceramic blanket is "exonerated from carcinogen classification", so should presumably be safer, but also more expensive, others are not and still classified as a class 2 carcinogen. There is no doubt that ceramic blanket is the most superior insulator available.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
The task of installing a brick oven involves working with a number of building material products and we strongly recommend that you take the appropriate safey precautions and avoid contact with them as much as possible, including:

1. Use gloves. You will be mixing concrete and mortar which are caustic and can burn your hands. You will also be handling ceramic insulation and insulating blocks, which can be irritating.

2. Use a breathing mask. You will be cutting concrete blocks, brick, firebrick and/or stone, which put out a great deal of dust. You will also be working with vermiculite, perlite, ceramic insulation and/or block insulation, which you do not want to breath in.

3. Soak your bricks and blocks before you cut them with a wet masonry cutter. They will put out less dust that way.

4. Take care. You will be using a variety of saws and other tools, so please be careful and follow the instructions for everything you use.

If anyone has anything else to add, please feel free to give more advice here.
James
Safety glasses and ear protection are a must
Old 07-29-2014, 07:29 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Yes, it could be safe, but as cancers often take a long time to develop after exposure to carcinogens we might be in a waiting game. My Dad was a medical officer during one of the Maralinga nuclear tests. He died of cancer, probably as a result of exposure, 24 years after. You should have been given the MSDS on the stuff, here it is if you want to check it out.
Also, it is not the ingestion that is the problem it is inhalation. It's when it gets into your lungs not your stomach that is the worry.I work in a school and we are not allowed to let children have any contact with it.

FIBERFRAX® CERAMIC FIBER PRODUCTS
The main issue is from a component of the blanket which the ceramic fibers are made of, mainly silica, which can cause silicosis, a type of restrictive lung condition. Any level of silica exposure can result in silicosis. There are three types of silicosis: acute, accelerated, and chronic.

Acute silicosis forms a few weeks or months after high levels of silica exposure. This condition progresses rapidly.

Accelerated silicosis comes on five to ten years after exposure.

Chronic silicosis occurs ten years or longer after silica exposure. Even low exposure levels can cause chronic silicosis.

Silica dust particles act as tiny blades on the lungs. When silica is inhaled through the nose or mouth, particles create small cuts that can scar the lung tissue. Scarred lungs do not open and close as well, making breathing difficult.
AT A MINIMUM WEAR AN N95 MASK, BEST IS TO WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!