Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Saftey Issues

Ceramic fibre blanket is only dangerous when it has been fired and the binders have burnt out from the product. This only happens in the higher ranges of temperatures, which will never happen in a WFO. Yes, wear protection, but the sky is not going to fall down.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

So when the air is full of sparkling tiny fibres theres no problem?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
Ceramic fibre blanket is only dangerous when it has been fired and the binders have burnt out from the product. This only happens in the higher ranges of temperatures, which will never happen in a WFO. Yes, wear protection, but the sky is not going to fall down.
Can't agree, it is the fibres that are the problem and although they are held within the binder, on bending and handling, loose fibres will still become airborne, particularly when cutting the blanket.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Journeyman

Yes, agree on both parts, but as it has been mentioned, NO human cases of cancer have been detected, only rats that have ingested the product have had issues.
I have been in the refractory industry for 30 years, and have never heard of anyone having any dramas.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
Yes, agree on both parts, but as it has been mentioned, NO human cases of cancer have been detected, only rats that have ingested the product have had issues.
I have been in the refractory industry for 30 years, and have never heard of anyone having any dramas.
Yes, it could be safe, but as cancers often take a long time to develop after exposure to carcinogens we might be in a waiting game. My Dad was a medical officer during one of the Maralinga nuclear tests. He died of cancer, probably as a result of exposure, 24 years after. You should have been given the MSDS on the stuff, here it is if you want to check it out.
Also, it is not the ingestion that is the problem it is inhalation. It's when it gets into your lungs not your stomach that is the worry.I work in a school and we are not allowed to let children have any contact with it.

FIBERFRAX® CERAMIC FIBER PRODUCTS

Last edited by david s; 02-10-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Clarification of ingestion
Old 02-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Serf

On the topic of ceramic fibre blankets ... I'm about to insulate my dome that has unfortunatley cracked during curing. I've patched the cracks from the outside, but i'm concerned that if further cracks develop, exposing the ceramic fibre blanket to the cooking chamber could it be a safety issue when cooking?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, I'd be concerned too. The fibres are considered dangerous if inhaled. I think they're ok if ingested. If you've sealed the cracks from the outside then there should be no way they can get out, but with expansion and contraction going on there could be some abrasive action going on where the blanket contacts the dome.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:10 AM
Master Builder

Safety issue with power tools!

LEAVE GUARDS IN PLACE! THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON!

I had 8 stitches across the top of my left index finger last summer, and 6 across the top of my left thumb--a different time!

Both times from using a 1mm thick cutting wheel on an angle grinder that broke while cutting metal. Guard removed to get a slightly deeper cut! (In my hand unfortunately)

It is so quick that you do not even feel it until you look at the blood all over your hand and feel a burning sensation ---then you say " Oh s--t!" and it's too late! Time to get some stitches again! BTW the throbbing reoccurs when your hands get cold!

"Beginners usually do not get hurt as often"---they read safety instructions!
It is once you start feeling too comfortable with the job you are doing that you get overconfident! A lot of pros can show off their scars and missing parts!
UtahBeehiver likes this.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:27 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikku View Post
Safety issue with power tools!

LEAVE GUARDS IN PLACE! THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON!

I had 8 stitches across the top of my left index finger last summer, and 6 across the top of my left thumb--a different time!

Both times from using a 1mm thick cutting wheel on an angle grinder that broke while cutting metal. Guard removed to get a slightly deeper cut! (In my hand unfortunately)

It is so quick that you do not even feel it until you look at the blood all over your hand and feel a burning sensation ---then you say " Oh s--t!" and it's too late! Time to get some stitches again! BTW the throbbing reoccurs when your hands get cold!

"Beginners usually do not get hurt as often"---they read safety instructions!
It is once you start feeling too comfortable with the job you are doing that you get overconfident! A lot of pros can show off their scars and missing parts!
I feel your pain. Last summer while working on my outdoor kitchen, I had such a cutting wheel break in half. One half flew across the yard, the other half lodged itself firmly in my face. Fortunately they were able to glue the 1.5" gash back together. Still have a scar, but not nearly as bad as it could have been.
Lesson learned? Don't buy cheap azz cutting wheels and always wear a proper face shield.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Master Builder

My wheel was not cheap, the technique of use was faulty!

The wound excavated meat a bit and mixed glove together--so vigorous cleaning was necessary, so my finger has the "face lift" appearance from drawing baggy skin taunt!

Yep! Safety no laughing matter, stupidity is!