Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Saftey Issues

The concern is that the premier vermiculite mine in the U.S. produced vermiculite containing asbestos back in the bad old 70s (give or take a decade, I really don't know), but that was a long time ago and contemporary vermiculite does not contain asbestos.

That said, I got my vermiculite free off CraigsList from someone who cleared out all their ancient attic insulation, which clearly dates back to that bygone era previously mentioned (I think there is a spate of such vermiculite concerns in my town of Seattle)...so I wore a full respirator the entire time I was dealing with it, same one I used when jigsawing InsBlock.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 07-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Serf

we should protect our eyes firstly, it's the most improtant thing i think

One of the best

Old 07-04-2010, 02:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

We were given two eyes so we'd have one for a spare.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Apprentice

safety glasses are good but goggles are better. I have had many particles slip by safety glasse but have never had to flush out my eye since I purchased goggles

Peter
Old 11-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the useful safety measures..I would like to follow them strictly....And whatever precaution we take Product defects and failure are obviously happens accidently..
Old 11-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel123 View Post
Thanks for all the useful safety measures..I would like to follow them strictly....And whatever precaution we take Product defects and failure are obviously happens accidently..
Spam spam spam spam.........

Old 11-26-2011, 05:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The Spam Museum is just down the road from me in Austin, Minnesota.

SPAM > SPAMģ Museum

We take our SPAM seriously here...

Chip
Old 01-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Banned

When you say that this ceramic fibre (blanket) is dangerous.. can you explain how ?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Any inhaled fibres would be a health issue like asbestos, probably worse as there is no warnings on the blanket and the air fills with fibres when its handled.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by building angel View Post
When you say that this ceramic fibre (blanket) is dangerous.. can you explain how ?
Ceramic fibre blanket is a class 2 carcinogen. Tests on rats have produced tumors, but so far there have been no recorded cases linking the product to cancer in humans, but as cancers can take many years to show up there is still a cloud over its use. The stuff is banned in Germany, its replacement uses a water soluble fibre and is much more expensive. Being water soluble could actually be a problem for a WFO in that the water elimination process might dissolve some of the fibres. I prefer to leave the stuff alone and use double the thickness of vermiculite instead which is at least safe. Be careful if you use blanket. Wear a good respirator when cutting and handling it. I work as an art teacher in a school in Australia and we are not meant to have any ceramic fibre where children could inhale some. eg around the seal of pottery kiln doors.