Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Saftey Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Not true. Firebricks are mostly silica and alumina. You don't want to breathe the stuff on a regular basis, but it's not nearly as toxic as asbestos. You are unlikely to be able to buy anything new that contains even trace amounts of asbestos.

Still, you don't want to breathe the dust. When you're cutting, particularly cutting dry with an angle grinder or such, wear a proper respirator, not one of those paper dust masks.
Thanks for putting my mind at ease... I've just seen all these references lately to class-action lawsuits for workplace asbestos exposure, naming, among the usual others, firebrick manufacture. I'm glad to hear, as will my wife, that we won't be putting ourselves at risk for mesothelioma with every pizza we cook!

again, thanks!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Journeyman

Know you limits. Don't overextend yourself. Lift with your legs. Never extend your arms out with a load. And for gods sake, don't go twisting your back about whilst lifting, carrying or placing heavy items.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Journeyman

The only issues with cutting bricks is the silica dust. Ceramic fibre is pretty safe until it has been fired where the binders are burnt out but it is in the 1000 degree C range which is nowhere near WFO temps. Cal Sil is safe.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Apprentice

Be careful mixing your concrete.

BEWARE OF THE 80LB BAGS!!!

Im scheduled for back surgery this Tues thanks to QUIKRETE

My oven has been on hold due to a ruptured disk - im 37 in good health other than that!

Last edited by toddj; 03-05-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Todd, I was wondering where you'd gone! I'm sorry about your back. Good luck with the surgery- my sister in law had a roto-rooter job on her disc several years ago and is much better since.

Good to see you back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Ouch. I hope it isn't too bad. Take care of yourself and let us know how it goes.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Apprentice

Thanks guys maybe I can celebrate recovery with some pizza this summer
Old 04-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

In addition to lifting a safe load an often forgotten safety issue when dealing with these types of projects is safely of transporting your materials.

Do not overload your car, truck trailer or van. If you have items on the roof such as lumber or in an open trailer make sure that the load is properly strapped down or otherwise secured.

A few years ago I was in a Menards Lumber yard and saw a man put so many concrete blocks in his trailer that he blew the tire right there. It was a good thing he was not going down the highway at 60 when the tire exploded.

Drive a safe load.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Serf

What about asbestos in the perlite or vermiculite??? Does anyone know for sure if it contains any?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Master Builder

Perlite is a naturally occurring substance. It is mined from volcanic areas and has nothing to do with asbestos, except looking similar to asbestos matl. I don't think they would be selling it in Home Depot if it had asbestos in it. Asbestos was outlawed in the US a long time ago and I assure you there is no asbestos in the vermiculite or perlite.