Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   Rooker - what was old is now new (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/rooker-what-old-now-new-20377.html)

navyintel 02-07-2014 10:20 AM

Rooker - what was old is now new

6 Attachment(s)
I found a picture of an ash and coal rake from an 18th century technical encyclopedia from France Circa 1750.

They had a plate that showed a Baker's Rooker.

So I adapted the design and materials and came up with the items shown in the pics attached. I had enough steel to make two. One long for reaching way back and one for up front work and scraping into a dust pan.

Material:

1 each 1 1/4 in X 1/8 in X 8 feet steel strap
1 each 1x1 x 36 in hardwood dowel
2 each -1/4 x 1 in bolt with nut and washer

Overall it is 54 inches

GianniFocaccia 02-07-2014 11:21 AM

Re: Rooker - what was old is now new

Some things you just can't improve on. Nicely done!

navyintel 02-09-2014 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a plate from a 1730's encyclopedia from France. Different equipment used in a bake shop. I also posted this on the fire starting thread.

Gulf 02-09-2014 03:18 PM

Thanks for the post. I can see where it would work. I'll be trying one out for myself, real soon :).

kanoer54 02-09-2014 05:07 PM

Is spring steel the same as strap steel? I would be interested in fabricating these also.
jon

navyintel 02-09-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanoer54 (Post 169276)
Is spring steel the same as strap steel? I would be interested in fabricating these also.
jon

I used flat weldable steel, not spring steel. You should be able to pick it up at any metal retailer or hardware store.

Did the pics from the 18th century help?

Gulf 02-09-2014 05:32 PM

I have some "mild steel" stock that would be easy to work with. After your original post, I had tried to Google "French oven tools", "rooker" etc. But, could not find it. The pic form the 18th century encyclopedia is golden :).

Thanks again,

navyintel 02-09-2014 05:44 PM

Try this video on YouTube. It shows a rooker in action.
Baked Beans - 18th Century Cooking Series at Jas Townsend and Son - YouTube

kanoer54 02-09-2014 06:54 PM

Yes, this helps a lot. I will be looking into this further once the weather warms up here. I definitely need a tool which can satisfy these needs. Thanks for the info on these rookers!!!

jon

Gulf 03-26-2014 05:39 PM

Thank's Michael,
This link that you pm'd did show a lot more of the rooker. It will definately be in my line up for the "first team" of tools :).

Edit: Jas Townsend is a little deep for me on his historical reinactments and such but, he has a lot of great WFO videos and some very interesting history tied to his recipes!

Thank's again,
Joe